Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

All you with Pete Jackson timing gear drives, please help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NerdBoy, Feb 23, 2004.

1. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Just pulled the gearset out of the engine, and I am trying to identify it. It didn't seem to be the right fit (I didn't put it in, the P.O. did, and I have no faith in this man.), and I want to make sure it is for an SBC.
    It has "Pete Jackson" stamped on it, and the number 89. That's all the identifying marks that it has.
    I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out on this...

2. owen

owen 1/2 ton status

what exactly did you mean by "it didnt seem to be right"? They require a little more machining and work than a regular gear. Be more specific and I might can help. No, I wont tear the front off my motor to see what number it has on it!

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Give Beast388 a holler, or PM /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

It didn't seem to fit right, in that it had a fair amount of play in the idler gears. I don't really want to put this thing back on (Just bought a Cloyes double roller chain setup) I just want to know whether the thing is supposed to be on an SBC, or whether the PO decided to put something he found in a junk yard on the block, again.

5. dieselburban

dieselburban Registered Member

I put one on my 2wd s-10 with a 350 in it and I didn't have to machine the block but you have to grind off the two middle gear pins that they spin on,you have to mount the top and lower gear then slide the middle gears on just barely and then put the cover on snug,pull the cover back off and check for clearence behind those gears and the block,you dont want to much play but you need a little or you will wear a hole through the cover.I ran a stock cover and only had to take off a little bit off those pins.I will search the garage today and see if I still have the box and instructions around.Its been about 4 years since I put it in hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

6. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

The play was in the mesh of the gears themselves. It left me with some really sloppy timing. This is why I am wondering if this is the correct set for an SBC.

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The play was in the mesh of the gears themselves. It left me with some really sloppy timing. This is why I am wondering if this is the correct set for an SBC.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like something is amiss. There shouldn't be any play in the gears. When I put mine in, you had to have the crank and the cam gears in just the right positon to get the idler to mesh. With the slop that you are describing, it sounds like the gears are toast or it is the wrong application. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I still have the box for my PJ gear drive, so I will look at home tonight and post up the part number. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Yeah. The gears look fine, the bearings feel good, too. The only logigical thing I can think of is that it is the wrong one.

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

The part number on my box is 327-1CN. The "N" is for noisy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

throw it in the trash, and buy a good quality double roller chain. much better performance there.