Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Allen wrench question - help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Jul 10, 2004.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Ok, I have an allen bolt that takes a 3/32" allen wrench. I have stripped 2 allen wrenches trying to remove it.

Two quetions:
    1. Do they make higher strength allen wrenches? Maybe mine are just cheap. Where can I find them?
    2. It is possible someone used red loc-tite on this tiny allen bolt. Isn't it true that if I heat it up to like 500 F the loctite will let go? I have an oxy/acetylene rig that I use to cut steel. Is that OK to use? The steel that this bolt is in is heat treated and I do NOT want to anneal the metal, or whatever it is called when you soften it.

Someone help me as I feel dumb not being able to get this little booger out.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive learnt that the more money you pay for the allen wrenches, the stronger, better fitting they are.

did you try a torkes bit? just take one about the same size and tap it all the way in and use a ratchet to break it loose

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Yes, if it is lock tite in there, the only way to get it out is to heat it up. Like big83 said, the more expensive allen keys are better. I stripped 3 allen keys trying to get some bolts off the front hubs. because they were cheap ones.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I have heard (maybe mis-heard?) that if you don't quench the metal, (IE change the temperature very fast, like dipping in water) you will NOT affect the metals "heat treatment".

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

did you try a torkes bit? just take one about the same size and tap it all the way in and use a ratchet to break it loose

[/ QUOTE ]

I took your advice. My smallest tork-head(sic?) bit fits snugly in the 3/32" allen head. With a ratchet and some even pressure it came off great. There were actually two bolts and they both came out with this. I didn't see any loctite so maybe it was just very snug and made of high qaulity steel, and my allen wrenches were not up to task. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thanks for the advice! That's why I love this place!

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have heard (maybe mis-heard?) that if you don't quench the metal, (IE change the temperature very fast, like dipping in water) you will NOT affect the metals "heat treatment".

[/ QUOTE ]

NO No quenching metal from diferent heats, into diferents liquids is a way TO temper steel!!!

when you heat up some thing and it cools it is usuals weaker!

if something is tempered/heattreated use heat sparingly, if so your ok but if you heat something up alot (glowing, ever cherri red) you will lose you temper.

if i wanted to heat a bolt that was on tempered steel i would heat it up a little, then let it cool. Just a bit,then again, then try to crack the bolt. little by little.

i have gotten very stuck ball joint nuts off with a plumbing torch /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif 2 min. and comes off smoo /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifth!!