Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Allison 5-Speed Automatic

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Gandolf, Oct 15, 2000.

1. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Chevrolet is offering an Allison 5-Speed Automatic as an option in some of the 2001 Pick-ups. The Allison has been around a few years in some high end motorhomes. It sounds like the ultimate heavy duty transmission cuz in the pick-up, it has a 7 1/2 Ton towing capacity. I have two questions.
    1. Does anyone know more about these transmissions, such as: will they bolt up to our 350's and transfer cases, availability, cost, etc. and 2. Who is going to be the first kid on the block to have one of these in their Blazer?

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

2. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

they also used allison trannys in garbage trucks. i can hardly wait for chevys new line up so i can drool all over. i also hear they are going to build a new bad a$$ disel engine

<font color=green>SMP</font color=green>[​IMG]

3. waterboy

waterboy Registered Member

actually the diesel is made by isuzu its 6.6 turbocharged strait injected with 300 hp stock and it blows those 7.3 liter fords out of the water their bad boys

4. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

5. I just read the flyer Saturday and I believe it said the Allison was a 6 speed !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As usual, something to keep in mind (for K5's) will be the overall length of this tranny. Plus, you may have to settle for whatever t-case GM chooses to put behind it.
    It would be nice, though, if it will work...

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

7. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

BigBurb the allison is a 5 speed it's the manual thats the 6 speed.
    This is the same 6 speed that ford and dodge started putting in their trucks last year,But I think some of the gear ratios are differant.

[​IMG]

8. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

The trans is a6 speed the same as in the new top kick and the motor is chevrolet and Isuzu as in General motors owns controling stock in Isuzu

9. I was wrong

Yep I read it wrong or had it backwards !! The Manual is a 6 speed and the Automatic is a 5 speed, they both have PTO capabilities which mean that down the road you can buy one to add on for a PTO winch or other accessories !! They both look like they would be a monster of a tranny. They didn't say what kind of transfer case they are bolting up to this thing. Maybe a hybrid NP 205, I know a Atlas II !!

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Re: I was wrong

allison trannys are a serious trans. very heavy duty. as far as I know, the allison tranny was not available as a 4x4. but there are companies that make the conversion. but they usually make them to fit the heavy duty rockwell t-cases. I have never seen a 205 adapted to one.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!