Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Allison tranny?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trailblazer87, Jul 14, 2002.

1. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Found a wrecked 1-ton from a friend and it has the new Allison 6-speed auto in it. He wants to keep the axles /forums/images/icons/frown.gif but it willing to sell me the tranny and comp. for $1500, what to you all think about this tranny, is it worth the time and money to swap in?

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Nope, not worth the time and money to swap over.

Great trans -
    But way over built/heavy for anything other than full on towing applications. Converting the electronics would be extreamly dificult.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I wouldn't bother.
    Beings that Allison tranny is electronically controlled. And the TPI Vortec engine is totally different than your TBI 350 the electroinics would be a night mare.
    For a lot less than 1500 you can get a 88 or up 700r4 and a new torque converter. Or put in a SM465

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Or a T400 or 4L80.

Those Allison's are huge (and wicked heavy), I would allmost bet a guy could stuff a T350 inside the Allison case.
    *Not really, but they are monsters*

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do it. If you have the money and the time. It would be interesting. It wouldn't be easy though, but it could be done.

6. glencanyonexplor

glencanyonexplor Registered Member

if you don't buy it I'm interested PM me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I dont think that it will work due to the computer interface. I read something about it in one of the latest mags. If you could get the engine along with it, now you might have something.

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

The Allison has it's own transmission controller. If you could figure out the messages that it needs from the engine controller and body computers, you could make it work. This would require extensive detailed information on the drivetrain management system. If you figured it out, you would likely be the first.

It would be a lot easier to take the engine and the tranny and swap them both in and just figure out the easy stuff like fuel pump and vehicle speed. I would take the instrument cluster as well.

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

And it is a 5 speed.

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a mess /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I asked and he wasn't willing to part with the motor /forums/images/icons/frown.gif , plus I have never liked the electronic shift t-case that would come with it. He was going to put the motor in a J /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif p. Found a guy who will rebuild my 700r4 for $550, with corvette servo, and all updates.