Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alloy Shafts for D44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RedDwarf, Aug 8, 2001.

1. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

So who here has broken an alloy shaft? What gears/tires?

Lift It, Lock It, LIVE IT!!!

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Re:Breaking Alloy Shafts for D44

Or, who has them and has dogged the crap out of them w/o breaking?

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I popped a ujoint one time that twisted the ears up a little. Maybe repairable, probably not. We've had to run a few warranty shafts through here, but most of them are joint caused problems, and the 2 or 3 shafts we've seen broken have been with 38" and up rigs. If you twist the splines, you get a new shaft pretty quick.

I used the truck really hard a couple of times with 35.5" TSL's and a lockright trying to get up the Dumpbump in Moab. All kinds of bouncing and thrashing about, was really surprised they didn't turn loose somehow. With 37's, it was a lot easier to break them, one good hop would do it. But at that point, I was running the hub fuses so it wasn't too bad to break them.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Stephen on 08/08/01 06:55 PM.</FONT></P>

4. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

Hey thanks Stephen, that's the kind of info I was looking for.
    Unfortunately, I have 38" TSL's, but they only measure about 35" tall on the truck.

So if the splines twist, you guys will warranty them?

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Basically most of the shafts I believe have a lifetime warranty... someone correct me if I'm wrong. Basically w/ 38's and up w/ a locked frt end you are gonna break stuff in a D44. The nice thing is sometimes you can luck out when a u-jt blows in an aftermarket shaft and not kill the ears... but that is only sometimes. I look at it like this though... for the price of the aftermarket alloy shafts you are over half the way to a D60... might as well get it over with now rather then later if you run that big or tire w/ a locker and like to crawl. Just my $.02 worth there though.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I am running the Warn CMoly axles and thoes 297 Ujoints can handel up to a 35" mabie a 36" but I wouldn't go much higher than that with a D44. Mine are very new and only wheeled them 3 times now and so far so good. I have 33"MudRovers now but will soon be 35"SSRs[​IMG]
    Oh and run the hub fuzes too, they are said to work well for saving the 297s.....?? Duno yet!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>