Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

allright lets have it..TBI swap onto carbed truck

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jan 21, 2004.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i have an 86

really how hard is this..i tryed a search but its not working for me or something. what all is really involved. mainly in wiring and hooking it up. ive heard its quite hard, but id like all the details..

2. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

It is best to have access to a donor truck to get every last item but you can go with the aftermarket . Places like Turbo City or Howell Injection or painless Wiring can help out if the dollars don't scare you .
    It is very basic swap and is not difficult but it is a little time consuming .
    I went with Howell Injection and I am very happy with the kit that they provided . Wait until the search feature is working again - there is a lot of info about TBI swaps . Also there are a lot of third generation Camaro web sites that cover TBI stuff in great detail .
    Good luck , Tom

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yeah id like to know some good information too... because if its easy enough, id do it instead of the carb/intake swap i plan on..

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im going to be going with a holley projection setup used im buying from a guy, should be really easy to setup, and another guy in our club is running it on his 355, so ill have help if needed. but i still want to learn what all is involved in the factory tbi swap, as ive heard its a little on the harder side.. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. Confedneck

projection huh? ok moneybags.. LOL.. i always have the opportunity to get old motors and stuff cheap or free so if i got my hands on a 350 with tbi id yank it in a heartbeat.. just to have it, the painless kit is 600 bucks.. and i think its almost plug and play.. i figure i can make it work, i do electrical all day on POS furds..

6. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Be careful of Holly Projecetion junk. There may be a good reason that the guy is selling it. It is not exactly the best FI set up in the world. Most I have seen had injector problems and required a fair ammount of tuneing and fiddling with. Also not as easy to get parts for as the GM system. I would not pay very much for a used projection system maby 250.00 max. You can get them on E bay from 200-400.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

actually from what ive seen the parts are pretty damn easy to get if you go to holley..and even places like summit and jegs has stuff for them. i guy in my club runs one and his works awesome and hes never had a problem with it..so..who knows.. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

would a TBI setup from a 88 caprice work? either 305 or 350?

10. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I just got done doing a TBI motor swap on my 85 K5. Yes it was very time consuming and it helps alot to have the donor truck there as your doing the swap.

Here is the link to my TBI Swap post.

I am very happy with the turn out.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

does it have to be from a truck?? would a setup from a caprice work?

12. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Not sure on that one sorry.

13. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm..i dunno not sure either..i would think so though, same damn engine...inless the wiring is different?

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wiring harness is most likely different. Hard parts are essentially the same.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Search around the web and see if you can find a caprice wiring schematic, then compare it to an '87-up TBI truck. Only way you'll know for sure, unless someone else has done it.

It won't be electric speedometer, so thats a plus for your '86.

16. jboswell

jboswell Newbie

Just found your web site. I'm looking for info on a tbi swap for my 78 chevy. "SF87K5" said he just did one, did you take good notes? I have located a doner 91 chevy, but not sure where to begin. Might not be able to find this posting when you reply can you email too? jasonboswell@earthlink.net

Thanks,
    Jason

17. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

wow..u have the same name as my brother! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. Confedneck

wow.. two people with the same name? how in the hell did that happen??

19. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I have been looking at the Edelbrock Pro-flow set up. It looks like it would be a pretty direct bolt on. But at 2K is will take a little convincing of the wife to make that happen. I am trying to find a better alternative, if there is one. In the long run though, I think I would rather have a shop do the install. Not sure yet though.

20. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

FWIW, I'll be receiving a kit from a place called CustomEFIs (www.customefis.com) in a week or two. It's actually just some guy who rounds up everything you need to convert a carbed truck to TBI. I'll be getting a used factory GM throttle body bored out a little (he bores out some for 350, more for 454) with new injectors, an adaptor plate to fit on my Q-jet spread bore intake, plus all the other stuff needed for install: heated O2 sensor, fuel line, fuel pump, relays, ECM programmed for my engine, wiring harness, etc. He also is sending me a modified ECM controlled distributor and I send mine back as core.

From all I've been reading, the swap is not so bad. The possibly worst part is dealing with the fuel system. You have to bypass your mechanical fuel pump and use an electric pump instead. It mounts on the frame rail, inserted into your regular fuel line from the tank, then you need to establish a return fuel line to the tank (the fuel gets pumped from the tank to the TBI, then from the TBI back to the tank). If you are lucky like me, your mechanical pump already has a return line that you can use. Otherwise, it may be a PITA.

The TBI itself supposedly just bolts in place (the throttle bracketing and such might be a pain, but I hope not). If you have no provision for an O2 sensor, you have to go to an exhaust shop and have them drill a hole and weld a little nut onto it. I don't think it's a biggie, but in my case, my headers were CA legals, so they already have the screw in for the sensor.

You have to mount the computer in the cab, so a giant hole (2") needs to be drilled for the harness to go through. I'm hoping that I can reuse my ESC hole and grommet, but we'll see.

Oh, and you need to pull and replace your distributor. I've actually never done that, but I hear it's cake, especially if the engine doesn't move while it's out.

I guess the real big potential sticking point is if it won't start or runs like crap once it's going. No matter what I'll be using my laptop to grab some data from the ECM to see how well the programming matches my engine. The guy at customEFIs will iterate with you a few times to get it running (he'll burn you some chips). I doubt he'll put up with you iterating 50 times to get the spark perfect, but he'll get it running smoothly.

I'm not too scared, but I know there will a few kinks someplace. It's nice to know I'll have some tech support available, unlike with Holley (at least based on my experience just asking about their kits and it taking 3 days to get a response).

I plan to take a million digital pics in process, so I'll let everyone know when the job is done so you can check it out.