Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Allright lets hear what you guys think of these headers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88k5canyon, Nov 17, 2002.

1. 88k5canyon

88k5canyon Registered Member

Just like the title says, what is enyones opinions on theses headers by DYNOMAX, personally they seem allright.
    Let me know.
    Thanks
    David /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif
    Blackjack painted headers

Electrostatically-applied black paint.
    Header performance at a moderate price.
    100% quality tested.
    Includes gaskets, reducers, plus all nuts and bolts required for installation!

2. 88k5canyon

Sorry I can't get the pic of them to work. They are the standard series on www.dynomax.com
    David

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

If they were smog legal here those would have been my choice....

[​IMG]

4. 88k5canyon

Thanks for the pic ChevyCaGal, much appreciated.
    David

5. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I have the coated one's on my 91. The only complaints I have is the fit. I had to remove the bumpstop for the diff. and they are a little close to the spring and frame. Other than that no real problems, other than leaking collectors but that's different.

6. 88k5canyon

Hey jc71355
    What kind of power increase did you notice such as low end power and high end and whatnot. I have 4" lift that should make a difference in how close to the axle they are. Overall should I get them? How much were they?
    David

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Almost all full length headers come really close to the shackle at the collector area. Be prepared to heat and bend a little. You may be lucky and have em clear...I've had to tweak two different brands of headers though.

rene

8. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I noticed some power increase. I went from cracked manifolds and stock exhuast to a clogging cat and flowmaster with holes in it to these headers, dual 2.25" pipes and dual flowmasters.

If I had to do it again i would go 2.25 to behind the T-Case and join them into 1 3". I was all gungho about duals but after driving it for a while I just don't feel it works well with the fuel injection. I could benefit from a cross over pipe which i'm going to be looking into soon.

I see you have an 88 which means you have an o2 sensor. I strongly suggest putting the o2 sensor in FRONT of the collector. This will ensure leaks will not affect the mixture reading.

Also you will have to lengthen your wire for the o2 sensor. I would STRONGLY suggest sodering it. Those things read very small voltages and it takes a good connection to get it all through.

I would buy them again. I think they are a good compromise between cost and endurance with rust. The only other one that I wish I would have looked into would be the Edelbrock TES headers. Also, I forgot to mention the Alternator Bracket had to be cut for them to fit. However I haven't seen a header that didn't require this.

Hope this helps you decide. Let me know if you have any more questions. I have some pics somewhere I can dig up if you wanted to see them.

James

9. 88k5canyon

James
    Thank you very much for this post, very informative. Do you tow with your rig, if so how is the power, overall good power? With your cracked manifolds did you hear a cliccking up front that drove yo crazy at an idle, I do, I must have cracked manifolds. Did you do the install yourself, if so, how hard was that. I would love to see some pics if you have some. Please explain crossover pipe if you could. Your setup sounds basically what I would like to do, thanks for the help.
    David
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. 88k5canyon

James
    A couple more things, I was looking at your webshots, first of all, beautiful truck! Next, how much were thosae nerf bars, they look good. And last are those control arms in your rear suspension?!
    Thanks
    David
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

My partner in wrenching (my dad) was scared we would break the bolts off in the head since my motor has so many miles. He offered to pay the cost of the shop to do it (he REALLY didn't want to do it /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) so I gave in.

As for the Cracked manifolds I didn't really realize I had them. I don't recall any clicking but I did have a funny noise that I've traced down to the compressor.

I've only towed once. I had a Grizzly 660, a bunch of corn, feeder, a ladder, and other stuff. My fuel pump was going out at the time so it didn't run too well. Along with that I have 3.42 and 33's that stink. It towed ok. I was able to hang with traffic as long as I kept it in third and kept a lead foot on the skinny pedal.

The crossover pipe equalizes the pressure between the two sides resulting in a smoother running engine that makes more power. These are also known as H-pipes or X-pipes. The problem I have is no one wants to work on mine since it has no cats.

Overall my truck runs very good I believe. The mechanic I had do some work said he's never driven one with that much power before. Let me go and see if I can get some pics uploaded.

James

12. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the compliment. The nerf bars were custom made by the previous owner. They don't look like they would be hard to make with the know-how and tools though. The bars on the back are Anti-wrap bars. They prevent some wrap but I still have more than I want. Eventually I want to go with the one 45acp is making. It looks to be a very good design.

13. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

The pics I have are up in my Webshots.

14. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

I have a set of Heddmen Headders and I really like them. They cleared everything on the truck and go in pretty easy (which is a big plus for Headers). </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Also, I forgot to mention the Alternator Bracket had to be cut for them to fit. However I haven't seen a header that didn't require this.

[/ QUOTE ] I did not have to modify any altrenator bracket or anything. I would highly sugguest them. Later -Flexy

15. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I believe that we have a different setup on the front of the engine. I could be mistaken though.

16. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Has anyone ever tried using 2WD headers on a 4WD. Doing some comparing, they seem to use the same driver's side header, but use a lower drop passenger's side header (I'm assuming due to the front driveshaft and the factory Y-pipes). Now with custom duals on mine, I think I could have gotten away with a 2WD header on the passenger's side and came out with ALOT more clearance near the spring shackle and anything else that is in that area. You would have to go custom exhaust, but many of us have that anyway.

Just wondering if anybody has tried it, or thought about it, as it may help someone (as in this poster) out in the future.....

17. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a set of 2wd dynomax on my 4wd and they hit the shackles constantly. They always were cracking even when they were on the 2wd.

18. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well I guess that answers that question /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    Thanks for the heads up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Hey JC, I dont know where Port Neches is but there is a shop in Robstown that will do any exhaust. In Nueces county there are NO emissions tests /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and I think Kleberg is the same too.

20. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads up. Port Neches is about as south and east as you can go in Texas. Right by Lousianna and the coast.