Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Almost crashed and burned!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by militaryblazer, Dec 26, 2000.

1. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

Slammed on my brakes to avoid killing dog, almost hit a telephone post! If I slam on my brakes it feels like it wants to lose control. Even If I am going completely straight and hit my brakes hard it starts to go where it wants to! Is this normal because of short wheel base or not! Did it before lift too!

'86 Military Blazer <font color=green><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86>http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86</A></font color=green>[​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine did that for a while, it was a seized caliper in the front and leaking wheel cylinders in the back. It was damn frightening! Remember if its the dog or you, Bowser is going to have a bad day. I'd never hit an animal on purpose but I won't ditch my truck to avoid one either, unless it was a moose![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

3. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

Rebuilt calipers are only around eleven bucks last time I bought one...they go bad fairly often on the Blazers.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just re-evaluating my line"

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've been chased by a moose before. It is not fun. Thats wy I am thinking of putting a cattle guard across the front...........LOL

Gokartergo

[​IMG]

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When I was a kid my Dad and I saw a moose go postal on a pick-up that was in front of us. The dumb-ass started honking his horn at the moose that was standing in the middle of the road[​IMG] The moose never quit until the pick-up was on its side in the ditch! [​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

6. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It's happened a couple of times to me. But the most memiorable was when I was deer hunting and the stupid thing chased me for almost a 1/4 mile. Till I finaly dropped my gun and went up a tree. That f#*k$!g thing keep me in that tree for a couple of hours till dark. Then I had to go and find my gun. In the dark. Moose tag or not I swore I was going to shot the next one that did that to me. .......LOL

Gokartergo

[​IMG]

7. 82K5

82K5 1/2 ton status

there was a lady in my area that was killed when she swerved to avoid a dog and she ran off the road and slammed into a tree.. i believe you need to think of situations you get into before you get into them. like what action will you take when you come across a dog in your way. will you run it over? will you swerve and slam into a tree? when you take the responsibilty of vehicle ownership, you need to ask yourself what will you do in certain situations. you can't just jump in your vehicle and drive around unless you can use common sense and care. care for yourself and others. i have already concluded a long time ago that while i will do what i can not to hit that dog, i won't sacrifice myself for him either. most of all you need to pay attention to the road and what's ahead of you. you can avoid a lot of problems you come across by just paying attention while you drive. drive defensively and drive safe.

Phil from K.C.
    1982 K5 Blazer Silverado
    Built in Flint, Michigan-January 1982
    It has one of the very first 700R4 transmissions ever built.

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, mine does that too. My driverside rotor is all messed up. It has a trench right in the middle of it, its too far gone to be turned and I dont have the beans to get a new one either[​IMG] So if I slam on the brakes, I just hold on for the ride[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

when i slam on my brakes the skid very easy and quickly.

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

10. Channing74

Channing74 Registered Member

what tire is locking up? front rear left or right?

Bigger Is Better
    Channing74

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hey BlazerGuy, some of the GM rotors have a groove machined in the rotor, about halfway down the machined face of the rotor. It's a clean "V" notch groove. Is that the "trench" you're talking about? If so, don't worry about it, it's supposed to be there.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

12. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

No, my brother(previous owner) never changed the pads 'cept once in 7 years and the little warning tab dug a trench about 1/8"(?) deep in the middle of the rotor, so when I put the new ones on I tore that little tab off[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. HarryH3

Bummer!

I saw a guy pull into a shop in Utah several years back, complaining that his brakes were noisy and "felt funny". When they pulled it apart, one of the rotors only had a single braking surface. The backside of the rotor had worn completely away and the brake pad backing was machining the cooling vents! I was amazed that the thing was even driveable...

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

A few years ago my aunt was in a brand new Infiniti and there was a U-haul truck next to her. She hit a deer and it bounced off the corner of the bumper and into the truck, and back into her car all the way down the side of the car and truck. I saw a picture of the car it it was really messed up.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

15. Josh

Josh Registered Member

Speaking of brakes, I did a brake job on my jimmy ('77) and afterwards I couldn't get much pedal (almost to the floor and barely locks them up). I had bled the brakes 3 times and decided to try a new master cylinder. No good. I also tried "resetting" the combination valve by pulling the plug on the valve. Now I hear that calipers go bad often on these. If it is sticking could this be the problem. Also, I have a couple of related symptoms. 1 is when I reverse (driveway or parking slot) and then go forward I get a "bang" and the pedal drops. 2 I get a squeal constantly and when I just barely touch the brakes it goes away. Any Ideas???

Josh

16. undertow

undertow Registered Member

the rear drums reset themselves in reverse. That might be what your hearing, but it really shouldn't be very loud. Sounds like you got some bad caliper pistons/calipers up front, and maybe a bad cylinder (or two) in the rear.

[​IMG]

17. HarryH3

Josh, did you mess with the back brakes? Sounds like what happens when the back brake adjuster is set way too low.

18. Josh

Josh Registered Member

Yes I worked the back brakes. In fact I replaced the adjusters because they were worn. I adjusted the brakes snug when I put the drums back on (a shove with the palm) and did a couple of the "at speed" backups to ensure adjustment. Has anyone ever had a bad combination valve? The last couple of times I drove it, it started pulling.

19. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Josh,
    The problem with the way you set your rear brakes is the inner most part of the drum does not wear and if you adjusted them before putting the drum on then they will be way too loose. you need to jack up the rear and rotate the tire by hand. Adjust the brakes until you start to feel resistance to turning and then stop. This should help your pedal problem.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

20. pregate

pregate Registered Member

when i slam on mine i always skid hard to the left or right, actually thats always helped since it gets me more out of the way.. but its potential for something bad.. speaking of running over dogs..
    i was at the mall today and some couple who i guess brought their dog with them were pulled over on the side of the road in the parking lot (big circular road surrouding the lot.) taking up the whole lane.. so i start to drive by and the lady lets go of the dog and it darts towards me.. i slam on the breaks and jerk over to the side to avoid it, then stop and look at the guy in the car.. the lady just ignores it and gets inside and apparently the guy starts to roll down his window and yell at me.. (i had stopped paying attention by then, my girl told me he was)
    what do you expect? letting your dog run around in the parking lot of a mall, hes lucky i didnt run over the little 5 pound thing

1979 K5 Blazer
    4x4, 350 V8