Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Almost done!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82_k5, Jun 18, 2004.

1. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

I just put a 350 motor in my jimmy and I have a few q's. First off, i put the 305 exhaust manifolds, carb, and distributor on it. The problem is it runs really rough and has no power, could that be the timing being off badly off? The only other things it could be is the carb is too small or the exhaust manifolds have no pipes on them for right now. So what do you guys think my problem is? It's an 82 that used to have a 305 and the 350 is a crate motor with 50,000 miles. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I'm guessing that the carb and exhaust manifolds are too small. That's probably why it't running rough. I wish I can help you more someone will chime in soon.

3. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

I'm no expert but I do have a friend that just did the same swap. He had a hard time getting it running good. Some of his problems were vacuum leaks, Timing way off, and a bad check valve off of the brake booster / master cylinder.

From what you are talking about I would double check top dead center and ensure your distributor is set in right, then go from there. Stock 305 exhaust manifolds should work okay, just loud if that is it. Might not want to run it very long with just stock manifolds though. Long tube headers I hear you can get away with running open. The carb should be a stock quadrajet, 680 CFM I belive, should be plenty. If it worked on your 305 It should work on the 350 fine.

Again, I say check TDC again. Remember if you need to put a screw driver down the distributor hole to adjust the oil pump rod to make the rotor line up correctly then do it.

Note: not alot of experience here with motors, just a bit of watching others for right now. Take my advise accordingly.

Best of luck mang!

4. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

Thanks, anyone else?

5. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

The carb worked fine on the 305, i fixed a few vaccum leaks and that helped it but it still has no power, i'm going to get the timing set today so hopefully that will help. The reason the manifolds just dump is because i couldn't get the pipes to hook up, so hopefully i'll fix that today too. thanks

6. 77 Mud Buddy

77 Mud Buddy 1/2 ton status

I drove my friends poorly running 86 k5 with an 89 350 / old 305 carb (rebuilt) / open long tube headers up onto my trailer to get exhaust work done. It barely had enough power to get up my trailer ramps in LOW. After the exhaust work was done another friend helped us look over the motor, Timing was way out, they set TDC, made sure the distributor was pointing towards the #1 piston, put a timing gun on it, set it to about 8 degree's (with vacuum advance disconected and plugged, the thing runs like a decent 350 now. Could run a little better but that was the problem, timing was way off. It would run but had no power. As I said, I would suggest to check timing. Best of luck BRO!

7. 82_k5

82_k5 Registered Member

I'm doing the timing today so i'll pray that that's the problem thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif