Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Almost finished with the rebuilt rocker box/slider combo...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty much just chopped off everything even with the bottom of the door. Replaced the old rocker box's with some 2x2 tube and 2x3angle. Plated inthe bottom sorta likethe 73-75 rocker boxes. lol, I did the side in the pictures with a sawz-all. That sucked ass. Two trips to the store for new blades and 2 hours later it was all outta there. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I did the drivers side yesterday with the plasma cutter at work....about 30 minutes. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I also learned that bondo doesn't cut real good with a plasma cutter....and it reeks when it burns. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

2. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Looks sweet! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I like the concept, probably going to do the same for mine! But why the Diamond Plate? Why not Regular Plate? Seems to me it would slide easier!

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

gonna look good when it is done. can i get a picture of inside the door looking down before you paint it all up? i am starting the removal on my 74 now. thanks man.
    grant

4. Zeus33rd

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    But why the Diamond Plate? Why not Regular Plate? Seems to me it would slide easier!

[/ QUOTE ]

I work as a welder fabb'er building trailers for a living. I used the diamond plate cuase we have a 4 foot high pallet of scrap at work that I can grab from. Scrap as in 3'x4' pieces. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Zeus33rd

You want a picture from inside with the door open or closed? What part do you want to see? I probably have the picture you want... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Seventy4Blazer

with the door open to see just how much you cut out. even if you have some before you installed any metal but were done cutting would be great.
    Grant

7. Zeus33rd

I just looked through my pics....I don't have anything like that of the passenger side, but the drivers side is still freshly chopped with nothin added, I'll take a couple pics of that tommorrow for ya, and post'em up. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. Seventy4Blazer

thnaks man.
    grant

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Turned out nice!! I plan to do the same before the Frank Raines trip... time is running out!

10. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I work as a welder fabb'er building trailers for a living. I used the diamond plate cuase we have a 4 foot high pallet of scrap at work that I can grab from. Scrap as in 3'x4' pieces.

[/ QUOTE ]
    What gauge plate did you use?Is there anything behind the plate?I mean like tubing or anything?

11. Zeus33rd

I ran a couple pieces of angle iron along the inside length of the diamond plate to stiffin it up a bit. And it's 1/8's thick diamond plate. We use it for the decking on a couple different trailer we built. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

right on, I'm cutting away in the a.m. on mine. i was going to cut and leave the door jam intack as it has no rust. and then I won't have to fill that area up with anything.

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

When I 1st saw the pic (reading is overrated) I thought you were working on a 73-75 and was going to ask how much you cut off the angled part to make it look like that. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. Zeus33rd

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    My rig do be a '76...Kinda looks like a 73-75 from the rockers. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif