Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Almost killed my brother and nephew!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5Blazer, Feb 10, 2003.

1. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

Last time I went wheeling, My brother rolled and totaled his 2002 J**P. It freaked me out pretty bad. My 6 year old nephew was in there 2. Anyways, How do you know what hills to attempt and which ones to turn away from? I look at some of the pics on CK5 and they look even more steep than the one my brother rolled on. I know this probably sounds dumb, but I guess I'm a little leary of it happening again, and this time maybe with my rig.
    Thanks for any advice.
    signed, a little gun shy /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

well your the only one who can tell if a hill is too steep to you, a jeep has a smaller wheelbase, and width then a k5 so a jeep is more prone to rollin, If your worried about the saftey of your 6 year old nephew get some 4 point harnesses and a roll cage........

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Don't do anything that your not comfortable with. As you wheel more your pucker level will increase. Don't be pressured by your friends to attempt something that you don't want to do.

4. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

What was your brother doing to roll his jeep? Was he just going stright up? Or did he try do turn around on the side of the hill ( Which is something you don't want to do).
    Now as to weather or not to go up or down a hill, I think will come from knowing your truck, And what you what to try, It takes time to get a feel of your truck.
    Before you go to climb a hill get a good look at it are there any holes or little ridges or a lip if you will. If you were comeing down a hill and hit a hole if it's deep enough it could cause you some problems. Say your going up a lip or a rise could cause you to up more than you want.
    And like I said before you don't want to trun around on a hill always back down as stright as you can.

Eric

5. 90K5Blazer

Thanks for the replys! he was going straight up. There was a lip at the top, but 5 guys went up it before him with no problem. He didn't appear to do anything different.

6. bigwishlist

bigwishlist Registered Member

Go with your gut.
    If you question it dont do it.I would rather life to wheel another day than attemp a hill that could jeopardize my rig or the occupints.

7. Highlander

It's hard to say from here maybe he was going faster than the other five. Or maybe is was the short wheel base thing. and stiff suspension who knows, I'm glad to hear noone was hurt. But it's the unforseen that make us build these truck with over kill in mind. Full Roll gages, Five piont seat belts and so on.

Eric

8. 90K5Blazer

I appreciate the replys. I have about 1.5 years of college left and then hopefully I'll be moving to CO. Been trying to talk the wife into it. If I do then I'll gladly accept lessons personally at one on the BlazerBashes!!!

9. Highlander

Well you will love it out here, It shouldn't take to much to talk the wife in to moving out here,
    We have better looking hills out anyway /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Eric

10. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I agree witht the others dont push it till you know what your doing. Me and some of my friends took out are trucks to do some brodes in some mud and brought a friend with his dads second child(a sweet'96 dodge 4x4), within five minutes he had rolled the thing, and that was on flat ground!
    -Kell-

11. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

I agree with what else has been said. I've rolled a couple of other trucks, but never this one. Got in on stock height suspension with stiff springs and never came close to rolling yet. Go out and push it when you know you're safe to roll (everything secure, roll support, and no one else in the truck.) As for the pics, it all depends what you're doing on said hill. I wheel in West GA and have made it up hills I've seen much more offroad worthy trucks roll on, but then I've learned the hard way to get my momentum up before I'm on the steepest part and not to torque my fron wheels off the ground when going vertical.It's just a matter of experience. I'd highly reccomend checking out your local offroad clubs to see if there is one you might be able to join. That can be a great source of help. Especially if you find one that is family oriented.

12. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

i was out wheeling before i actuaaly was into the whole scene myself, was with a friend who was. there was a guy there in a lifted sami, went up this hill , couldnt make it, damn near toppled over coming back down, glad i wasnt in his vehicle....