Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Almost Rust Free PICS

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by uglyangelracing, Jul 25, 2005.

1. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

I finally got my dream truck about 2 years ago. Well I checked it out real well and only slight rust. I really should have taken the stupid diamond plate running boards off sooner. Its amazing how much mud those things hold in. One very quick way to get cancer. So since I live in New England and rust is a given I figured use decent junkyard steel clean it real well and save cash for fiberglass body. So here she is so far.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

lookin good

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hey!!

There is a K5 EXACTLY like the one pictured sitting in a feild in a neighbord yard a few houses away from me--I believe its for sale(its an 87,with a 305/th700R4--kid offered it to me for 250 bucks 2 years ago,but I figured I had enough trucks already)..I'm a bit tempted to buy it and throw on my plow setup from the 74 K20 I junked recently--but the gas prices and insurance costs are too much for me with no job right now..I like the 2 tone black/silver paint scheme's they had on those years.. :bow: :crazy:

4. uglyangelracing

I figured before ordering the lift kit do the body work. Its a little easier to lean over it right now. Figure next week it will be painted. I lucked out loaded and under 100k for $800. Taking it one step at a time though. Engine first then trans now the body. I have another 87 drivetrain with TBI sitting behind the shed. Thinking if gas prices start to hurt to much its there. LOL
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  5. uglyangelracing

Just scored a 14 bolt FF for FREE. My buddy asked if I could pull a truck out of his woods for him so I said sure why not. Figure hes buying the beer. He tells me someone ditched it on the trail behind his house that leads to the train tracks. Says its been there since the fall and just wants it gone at this point. So we walk out back to check out the situation and I nearly fell over laughing. Its my old 1 ton with a crappy blue rattle can job. The kid who bought it from me lived about 1/4 mile from him.

6. uglyangelracing

I dont know how body guys do it. I hate sanding and body work this sucks. Started second side today. Cant wait for it to be over.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Wanna do mine next. I done my car a while ago. I understand totally. Body work sucks. I like the quote: chicks dig body damage. :D

8. uglyangelracing

I like that qoute Ill have to remember it. But yeah I left some of the smaller dents in for character.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I hate body work too...rust sucks...

I hate body work for several reasons...
    1.I suck at applying bondo...
    2.I hate sanding and grinding(always get some crap in my eyes,and sore arms)
    3.It NEVER looks as good as it was originally before it rotted..
    4.Its VERY costly!..torches,welders,paint,and bondo are not cheap!(30$ a gallon for "tiger hair" or "mar-glass filler here,and paint is at least 40 a gallon!)--a mig welder costs more than an arizona rust free truck!
    5.Time consuming--I have better things to be doing than patching rust every few months...I'd rather be enjoying life,not getting cancer from inhaling bondo dust and paint fumes..
    6.dirty hard work,tough on clothes and your backbone!
    7.cuts and briuses --goes hand in hand with sharp sheet metal..get infected easy too--rust== TETNUS !! :doah:
    8.It never lasts!!--a few months later,its as bad as before,or WORSE! :doah:
    9.I have little patience--I figure why spend hours making it look good,when it takes only seconds to destroy it!..and someone will hit it anyway,most likely..
    10.All the guys who CAN do good body work give you grief about your efforts.

Now,I just pop rivet or braze,weld or bondo a patch over rusted areas,and in many cases I never get beyond the "primer' stage as far as paint...I feel its a waste of time to make it pretty anymore..now I just patch things "good enough" for an inspection sticker,and to restore structural strength...I'm no longer anal about it being pretty--only functional!(Though I WOULD enjoy having a rust free rig someday--but I'll never be living here with it if I get one!)

On my 82 K20,I had to build new door bottoms,the 8" from the bottom was GONE when I got it..spent hours making new ones from 16 ga.galvanized steel...I could not weld it due to previous repairs made with an inch of bondo,so I put them on with self drilling screws..got it painted in red primer,then our "historical" winter came with 25 storms-- :rolleyes:

Now its all pitted and rust holes have appeared in the front fenders where blisters were last fall,and the "new" door bottoms got so salted,they turned white as a ghost,and most of the paint fell off..patches I put around the stepside fenders where the fuel filler door goes were so rusty they looked like it had been bare steel since 1982 already...

I never got around to doing the drivers side rear fender,rotted around the gas tank door too...I am sick of chasing rot and rust...my 79 C10 was a "puff" as far as rust when I got it 3 years ago,very rust free for its vintage..but even THAT is getting a few spots that need more attention,and I garaged it,and barely drove it at all in the winter....I hate MA and its truck dissolving climate,and all the salt they use here... :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: :angry1:

P.S. Chicks dig body damage??--if they do,it must be because they think you wont scream at them for smashing your truck up if its already dented all over!..(most of the girls I dated refused to ride in my trucks--they didn't care to be seen in a primered rotbox,and did not care for the diesel fumes!--WIMPS!...not "my kind of woman"!! :rolleyes: )

10. uglyangelracing

Yeah I was out there again today. I am not looking for beautiful just solid for a few years. My last truck lasted 6 years before it needed anymore bodywork. The reason I hate this crap is sanding I cant stand how long it takes. Bondo ? LOL Yeah that idea went out the window the 2nd day. Im learning to like little dents. All others I pulled and welded. Dents add character. Thats my new philosephy.

Only one side left though. I will be so happy when I get to shoot it. My buddy does body work and use to work at the dealership with me. I now understand why he doesnt anymore. This guy asked me why I needed to remove the top when painting the truck. Then he was taking over DAing for a minute and he left all the rust spots. Didnt take it all the way down to metal. He said the paint would seal it off. I have absolutely have no training in bodywork and Im starting to think I know more than him. Its scareing me. LOL

11. uglyangelracing

Well the body is done going to put everything back together tomorrow. Just need to wet sand first should be fun. LOL Now I get back to the fun stuff like swinging a wrench.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

12. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

Stripes AND flames!!! CoooooL
    Great job! :D

13. uglyangelracing

Really not happy with the flames. Should have tested the paint on spare hood first. Was supposed to be red to orange pearl shifter. Came out burgandy and very bold. So going to buy new fiberglass hood and redo. My friend said she will do real flames for free. Gotta love her. She kicks a$$ with an airbrush.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I like em. Maybe they'll grow on ya. :laugh:

15. uglyangelracing

No I really dont think so. lol But Ive got bigger things to worry about. Like getting everything back in it so I can drive it. Atleast this is more fun than body work.

16. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

turned out good. yeah, i hate body work...just sanded, and primed our construction dump trailer...it was a .... :laugh:

17. uglyangelracing

Yeah so today I put black leather interior in from a Lazer. Figure water rolls off easier and theyre more comfortable. Just waiting until I have enough for decent harness seats.
    [​IMG]

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Looks sweet! I used to live in Worcester, so I know how badly things rust around there. I sure don't miss it! :rolleyes:

19. uglyangelracing

Moving to Alabama at the end of the month so no more snow for we. Now I just need to watch out for stuff landing on it. LOL

20. GruntHunter

GruntHunter 1/2 ton status