Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Almost stalls when cold

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89K5, Nov 6, 2000.

1. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

OK guys. This topic may have been covered before, but I can't find it on a search.

When starting in the cold weather the rpms are fine then drop to almost a stall, fine, drop..... It also does it when driving. I'll floor it and nothing, then all the sudden I get thrown back and it takes off. It will do this until the engine is warm and then it seems OK. It happened last spring too. I changed the EGR and fuel filter and the problem stopped. Now I think it was just because the weather got warmer. Is it a sensor? If so, where is it?

2. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

thats exatly what my '89 does... it does in any weather though. I haven't had the time to figure it out though

Have been stuck (once) as of 8/12/00
    "(2H) Where's all the mud?.(4H)...(4L)..(4H)... oh crap"

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

on the '89 there is a vacuum canister between the TBI and the vac advance that has a plug on one side and the vacuum lines enter/exit one side, this should be on the left side of the TBI unit. there is a number of tests that can be done by you with a vacuum pump and a VOM meter if you take the time to read the Chiltons manual but I can almost guarantee that is where your problem is.
    My '77 does the same thing, I think that i need to rebuild the mechanical advance and vacuum advance on the dist.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>