Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alot of play in the driveline?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by aj_tatted, Jun 10, 2004.

1. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

o.k this has been bothering me now for ahwile, when i get under the truck, i can rotate the driveline about 1 1/2" nin either direction with the truck in park, also when i'm on the highway goin arounf 65-70 and i let off the skinny pedal i hear a horrible sound coming from under (assuming it's the driveline) what could this be? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

who setup your gears?

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like excessive back lash. Same problem I have every couple of months when my bent housing causes my adjusters to loosen up. That is really a cool sound isn't it?! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Your adjusters loosen up? Even with those things that hold them?

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, apparently it's a common thing when you bend a housing... Everyone I mentioned the problem to went "yep your housings bent" and sure enough when I measured it it was. I have another axle but all that 4 link stuff is welded on and don't feel like redoing it just yet. I'm thinking of acutally cutting the spindles off and making new ones. The right side spindle is what's bent a little.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The answer to the excessive slop is in your signature... "Detroit Lockers". /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If you want to know more about why a Detroit Locker does that, click the link in my sig, then click on "Tech Articles" on the left of the page. On the tech page you'll find an exhaustive paper on lockers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Does that article go for limited slips too becuase that is what is in those axles true trac limited slips.