Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alright, a crossover pitman for a 4wd box?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5thatShmobs, Mar 12, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Did a lot of searching, and I only saw someone mention this once.

Does anyone else find it strange that no one makes a crossover pitman for a stock 4wd steering box? Everyone either gets a 2wd box or converts their 4wd pitman shaft and then uses a ford pitman for both, when it seems that all is required is manufacturing a pitman that flips around for use on the stock box... Am I mistaken? Does someone out there make this?

I see no reason why you couldnt use the 4wd box because many have simply converted their stock box to the 2wd shaft... same gears and everything. Chime in please..

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I talked with 45ACPJr about this and he said the reason no one makes an arm like that is because it would be unprofitable because the 2wd boxes are so cheap. Literally all you have to do is change the pitman shaft which is extremely easy to do. I think you can do it with the box in the truck too.

3. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

A big nod on swapping out the shaft with the box still on the truck. Thats exactly what I did. Got a 2wd box at the boneyard for 20 bucks and then swapped it into my 4wd box. No problems at all with that.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I bought my cross over steering from Jarvis Knife Works and he has made a pitman arm for a 4WD box that will go side to side like the 2wd box. I will try and find the email and send it to you.

It was a bit pricey, like $125 or somthing like that

6. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Ok, well I emailed Steven (Heads up JKW offroad) and he told me that hes still working on the pitman for the 4wd box. He works a smaller operation and said that the splines on the inside of the arm are a pain to produce on such a limited budget. He had no word of when or even IF the arms would be produced. He said that ebay would be the first place you would find them if he can start producing them.

Hell, how much can a 2wd box really be... and as said above if the arm is going to be something like $120.00, you could pick up a 20 dollar 2wd box and a 50 dollar superlift arm and be done with it.

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I paid $40 for a junkyard 2wd box and $49 for a superlift 3" drop arm.....

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You can get the 4" drop Superlift arm for $40 at 4wpw and boxes at the junkyard are usually around $30, at least around here. </font>

9. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Which end is that Superlift arm tapered for? I'm looking for something that is tapered for the larger 1 ton ends. Parts mike sells his tapered for that, does the superlift arm come that way?

10. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member

Made the first one tonight,

Just thought I'd let you know the Chevy 4x4 crossover pitman arm is a go. We made the first good spline last night and the first complete arm tonight. The first few are going on ebay. This will give us a little time to get production ready for direct orders.

Not sure on a price yet. I'll keep you posted.

11. chevyman_400

chevyman_400 Registered Member

Re: Made the first one tonight,

let us know what you are going to list them under and when you list them

12. jstevenj

jstevenj Registered Member