Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ALRIGHT!!!! DEATH WOBBLE NEEDS TO GO AWAY!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5freak44, Sep 9, 2004.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Ok i need all the possible problems that the death wobble could be... here is my setup. 91 k5 front 10 bolt 36in iroks, 4in tough country lift. stock steering.

here is what ive replaced.....
    all 4 balljoints
    front drag link (the side that goes to the pitman arm)

shock are fine
    stabelizer is fine
    i dont see any play in the tierod ends,
    and im not sure how to check the berrings.

ANY HELP IS GOOD PLEASE HELP IM DYING!!!

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Check your front end alignment.

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i had the front end aligned about 2 months ago.

i also got my tries about 2 and a half months ago when they were spin balanced/

4. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Welcome to one of the unsolved mysteries of big tires.
    My junk did the same thing when I put on 35's
    everything is good and tight , so the best of luck to you
    Hope you can figure it out , it can get really annoying when it happens

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    im not sure how to check the berrings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy to check. Jack up the front of your truck and put it on jack stands. grab the tire at the 12 and 6 position and try to rock the tires top to bottom. There should be NO play. If there is, your bearing need replaced. If you're going to do your bearings, do it right and get the inners/outers/ and the kit for the thrust bearings and seals for the spindles. That is an ofter over looked part of the job, but they wear out MUCH faster than the rest of the parts. The kits for the spindles runs about $5 per side.

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

berrings are fine

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I repeat check your alignment, I had the same issue with my truck and I see your running the same tires as I am and I have put my truck on the alignment rack at work and my truck is waayyyy out of alignment thus causing my death wobble. Also, instead of aligning my truck correctly I installed hydro assist, I can still feel it try to death wobble through the hydro assist so i know its not fixed.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why didn't you fix your alignment if you had a rack right there? Toe is the most important figure on our trucks, and it's so easy to fix it, why wouldn't you?

9. jp0863

jp0863 1/2 ton status Premium Member

alignment! toe it in just a bit, this should solve the problem. i had the same problem with another vehicle i owned. i had it to several alignment shops and all of them said it was within specs, which it was, but it was towrd the outside of the recommended specs. old time wheelin friend of mine said i should toe it in just a bit. low and behold he was right. if everything else looks ok, i suggest trying to toe it in. you dont need to go far at all, but i would try about 1/2 turn at a time til you get rid of it.

10. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i had the same problem mine was the center pins for the axle broke and the axle would shift this was after i replace the broken shims /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. gonecheenin

gonecheenin 1/2 ton status

Your Caster angle is out
    when alignment shops check your alignment on a solid axle rig (specially a lifted one), they always insist that the caster is non-adjustable, and they are wrong. You probaly changed the caster when you installed the front lift springs, the lift springs may have even came with a caster shim to help out on front driveshaft angle, but when you roll the pinion up to help your driveshaft angle you take away caster in your front end unless you rotate the pumpkin on the tubes and re-weld it.

you need to have a alignment shop check your caster and tell you exactly how much it is out, then go get a shim to rotate it that much, or remove a shim that you might already have
    Thick part of the shim to the front of the vehicle= less caster
    thick part of the shim to the rear of the vehicle= more caster which also

Don't go overboard though, the more caster you add the harder the steering will feel and the more the truck will want to track road crown and such, just add enough to get the wobble to go away. Also, the wider the wheels you have are (read the further the tires are from the ball joints) the less tendancy the wheels will have to wobble and the less caster will be required (remember, the factory spec was for stock wheels with stock tires which always requirs more caster to keep steady), that distance helps the wheels "drag" on the balljoints, therefore helping it stay in a more consistent direction

i personally have 6" pro comp springs on the front of my 74' K20 with 10" wide wheels, stock shackles, no caster shim at all and unbalanced 36" swampers, and this truck has a shake from the unbalanced tires, but absolutely NO hint of any death wobble no matter what bumps i hit ( and trust me i know what death wobble is, i've had a 79' k10 do it and i also lifted a solid axle cherokee /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)
    I plan on adding longer shackles which will increase caster angle and worsen my front shaft angle plus my trucks steering has alot of resistance to it and it tracks road crown pretty aggressivly so i plan on installing 4" caster shim's with the thick part to the front which should counteract the effects of the shackles and then some which will allow it easy steering, a decent driveshaft angle, but an increased tendency to death wobble and wander the road so as a safety cushion i also plan on installing a Skyjacker inline dual steering stabalizer as a control item
    if it doesn't act quite right after all that, then i will go down to a 2" caster shim installed the same way

be carefull when installing the caster shim's, you may need center bolt extension spacers or a taller head centerbolt to make sure that you have the center bolt reaching through the shim and the entire way into the axle locator hole the way it is supposed to

Trial and error my friend /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif
    I hope this has helped /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have never experienced death wobble either.

I have never used shims up front and always had longer shackles (although the length has been changed a few times). Never had DW with a 10 bolt (new ball joints) nor with the D60, even up to 80 MPH on the road.

Damn, I never realized that my caster might be the reason I never had DW. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Until you experience it you have no appreciation for the fear of god it will put in you. After I put in my 60 I made it about 1 mile before I felt it and thought for sure I was gonna head on some traffic or flip the K5..VERY SCARY (hey, that rhymes /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

14. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

wow dont i feel stupid. im sorry for wasting yalls time...

the stabelizer on the front it bad....... i didnt realize rancho rs5000 would go bad after 1 and a half years

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Until you experience it you have no appreciation for the fear of god it will put in you. After I put in my 60 I made it about 1 mile before I felt it and thought for sure I was gonna head on some traffic or flip the K5..VERY SCARY (hey, that rhymes /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I have experienced DW, just not in my truck. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    wow dont i feel stupid. im sorry for wasting yalls time...

the stabelizer on the front it bad....... i didnt realize rancho rs5000 would go bad after 1 and a half years

[/ QUOTE ]

The stabilizer is not the cause of DW.

It might hide it but replacing the stabilizer does not solve the problem.

17. big pappa b

Being drunk don't count /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

18. big pappa b

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The stabilizer is not the cause of DW.

It might hide it but replacing the stabilizer does not solve the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]
    The same with hydro assist. It will mask the problem but it will still be there

19. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

Are your ball joints tight?

20. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

yea i bit the bullet on the balljoints at 4wp. all 4 of em, and they are tight....

so you are saying that without the steering stabilizer it should not wobble atall? i drove it without the stabelizer and it felt like a fking earth quake.