Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alright, Did search on Cams, but found the info was very engine specific...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Batmanjr, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I looked through many old posts on cams for TBI engines and have been to turbocity website... But I would like more info on cams for MY engine... I finally got it running right and it runs down the road awesome! It's just seems like I could use more low end torque! Here is what I've done to it already....
    Flat top Pistons
    Bored .30 over
    MSD Distributor
    MSD COIL
    Holly 2" TBI
    Edelbrok high riser intake
    Headers
    Open flow exhaust

I should of put a Cam in it when it was built, but I didn't. This truck will be used 75% of the time OFF-ROAD and 25% of the time as a back up truck on road or on the way to the trails! I don't do mud unless the mud is in my way... It's built for rocks and trails! My general mentality is to keep the engine as simple as possible because if I do break something in the long run, I don't want to be hard up to replace it... I know new heads should be replaced for best results, but I'm not looking to get that extream with the engine! I planned on using stock lifters and rockers, but I would consider changing if there was a good enough reason to.... Also, I have no problem putting in a new computer chip, I think the engine is getting to the point where it would need one anyways.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks In advance!

2. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

go to compcams.com or give the a call. what ever you do dont by any means buy a eldlbrock cam they suk for a tbi engine. i should have just gone with a comp but money was tight and now im regreting it. just my .02

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Edelbrock cams suck in every application I've ever seen.

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I 2nd the comp cams deal. call them. Great people, great parts, great advice. I've been dealing with them for 15+ years, I was direct with them for several. A chip is a plus, I would also consider at least rollor tip rockers, but at some of the cost of full rollor rockers these days, i'de go that way. The performance gains are from friction reduction. will also put less strain on valve guides. If you can't do them now, maybe later. Easy install.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Alright, Did search on Cams, but found the info was very engine specifi

I'll also recomend calling CompCams. I've always been happy with everything I've gotten from them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I also reccommend Compcams. Be aware though that most computer controlled fuel injection camshafts are dual-pattern grinds. Meaning the duration and lobe centers are different from intake to exhaust, most are greater on exhaust so a good set of pipes are a must!

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

When you say a good set of pipes, what do you mean? I have 3" pipes running all the way out with 3" dual cats and 40 flowmasters..... Is that considered a good set? I really don't want to get into the conversation of backpreasure, I've read that arguement till the horse was pulp! I really am looking for as extream of a low end torque cam I can get without having to rebiuld the whole top end again! Thanks for all the suggestions! Anyone runing a comp cam with numbers and a seat of the pants dyno? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

headers?

9. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Dynomax.... Nothing fancy! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'll be the lone voice to say don't forget about Crane.

Of course I was using a roller cam, so the options were a bit more limited, but Comp didn't have a good cam for an injected application (too little lobe seperation), that made as much torque (according to dyno sims) as the Crane cam.

11. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I have been a big fan of Comp and Crane cams for many years. As for my application Crane had what I needed/wanted in a injection friendly off the shelf grind. I kept a wide lobe sep - mild duration and as much lift as the grind would allow for low end power. I also made sure that the prom burner knew the cam spec's and intended usage.

I'll second the Crane Cams choice - they seem to offer some good TBI friendly grinds.
    Tom

12. krayzie

krayzie Registered Member

If you need to keep the low end, and want to go low maintenance - I recommend just getting what they call an RV cam. I run an Comp Cams RV cam in my truck... same setup as yours, only with the stock manifold. The sound is great, I can idle somewhat normally, and the power is there when I punch it. At times, I forget that I am running a TBI setup in mine, the throttle response is that good. I have to attribute a lot of that to a set of stock heads that were performance built to the hilt by my machine shop.

But... just my two cents. I love the RV cam, you may want it a little more wild than that. Good luck to you with it either way! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

For TBI
    Crane 114122 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif