Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alright help me out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hilljack04, Apr 7, 2006.

1. hilljack04

hilljack04 Newbie

ok, im the newest owner of a big rusty chevy k-5 blazer. Ive never owned a big truck and i am a big minitruck fan, i have a super nice 03 frontier but instead of being jacked up, its laying frame all the way around, but anyways, this new hobby is getting put another whole in the wallet and i need to ask some questions.

1. With this big rusty 305, am i gonna be able to get the exhaust manifold off, and put a new one on their, since the bolts are like on the engine itself without breaking something, (same thing with like valve covers and stuff? I see a small crack in my exhaust manifold thats why im asking, and i would like to get new ones and get new valve covers.

2. I need some new tires, it has some 33's on it now with 15 in. rims, but i would like to get some bigger rims and tires, anybody have any???

3. It has a 4 in. suspension lift, but could i get a body lift? do i have to do anything with the suspension lift?

4. My fuel gauge doesnt work, i had to find out the hard way, but what could it be?

Thats it for now, but if you have any tips about these big ol' trucks, let me know, thanks, here is some pictures of it and my other truck, thanks

oh yeah, i have a crotchrocket for sale if anybody is interested. Its a 96 Kawasaki ZX-6, it runs, rides, shifts, and looks perfect minus a few beauty marks from the owner before me that had layed it down. Thanks ahead.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

You can put on a body lift without any modifications to the current suspension lift. Most people on here will be against a body lift, as they raise the center of gravity, they will recommend cutting the fenders. As for tires with a 4 inch you should be able to fit a 35 inch tires without cutting depending on how much you will be at full flex, but since it looks like your fenders already seem to be a bit rusted, you can put 37's, 38.8's and so on depending on how much cutting you would like to do. That brings up a whole other subject as far as stock axle strength and gearing goes. 35's are do-able on the stock axles as long as you don't get too happy with the right foot. As for the 305 I'm pretty sure those bolts will be a bitch, how many miles does it have? you may just want to wait until it blows and put the more powerful and popular 350 in. Sorry about the long post, hope this answers a few questions for you. Welcome to CK5, it is an excellent site!:D:D

3. hilljack04

hilljack04 Newbie

hmm

well, this is actually a pretty good running 305. Its got an edelbrock carb, and it runs surprisingly really well!. Its a 70 by the way but im sure you guys could tell, and i thinks its only got 110K miles. well, thats what the guy said anyways who knows?? but i only paid 570 bucks for this big heap and i have some big plans for it. Yeah i wouldnt care if the motor blew today, i would just start building a nice big heft 355 and throw it in here, but as far as the axles, and tires, and lifts, and all that, i know NOTHING about! so any info is appreciated! thanks

4. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

The fuel guage is most likely a loose ground somewhere. My guage don't work either. I just keep a 5 gallon gas can in the back, just in case. It's on my long list of "things to fix".

5. hilljack04

hilljack04 Newbie

yeah

yeah, i have started a new long list of things to fix on this beast, hopefully i will keep with it and update everybody along the way. i am really good with body work if you saw my mintruck you would know, but i plan on fixing the whole body (i.e. rust, dents, and fix the wholes in the floor and build a whole new subframe and floor)

I will just need everybodys help on all the other stuff, like i dont know what size tires i could run or all these 1/2 ton axles and that, but anything is greatly appreciated, thanks