Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alright....I admit....I'm a virgin.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JK5, Sep 4, 2002.

1. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Alright....I admit....I\'m a virgin.

I've been wheeling for years now, but living in Ohio hasn't given me many opertunities to RUN ROCKS....basically just mud and trails....

I'm goin' to be Runin' my rig thru a rubicon for the first time, does anyone have any suggestions?

Jerry /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Re: Alright....I admit....I\'m a virgin.

I'm with ya. The only rocks I drive on in western Nebraska is the gravel in my driveway. Mud, mud, and more mud for me. Rocks scare me /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

finesse (i think thats how you spell it) just go one tire at a time and dont break axles romping the gas like a mad man.

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

As was said, go easy, it's mostly about finesse. Keep the tires on the big rocks, not your diffs. Be aware of how much clearance you have, and where your diffs are. Watch your break-over so you don't hang a rock in your cross members and such. Learn to "power brake" against the converter when on rocks and ledges and such. Basically, hit the brake, raise the rpms up till you feel it pulling "up against the converter", and then move by letting off the brake. In general, the brake controls your speed, not the gas. This generates allot of heat so make sure you have a good tranny cooler. If you don’t do this, you’ll jump, lurch, slam to halt, and repeat as you go from one rock/obstacle to another. Using the brake like this means you let off a little till it climbs the rock, and the brake keeps you from lurching forward as you ease over the top. This lets you crawl slowly forward and stay in control as you go over the crest. The only other option is really deep gears and you still need to use the brake to prevent lurching over the top. Also, try to find some place to twist your rig up and get off camber. Preferably right up to the point of rolling (maybe with strap already attached so your spotter(s) can (hopefully) keep you from going over. Your rig will probably go much further over than you think before rolling. It’s good to know about where this will happen and how it feels.

That’s about all I know (or can think of). Beyond that it’s just experience and practice… I'm relatively new to the "hard core" rock crawling so I'm still learning too...

5. MXmastermike

MXmastermike 1/2 ton status

hey jk5, i know the feeling! ohio's got some nice spots for some trails, but i've never seen a nice pile of rocks! where in ohio are you at?

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Jerry...i have only one suggestion. Take a trail 'weathered' truck through the 'Con...it is a very fullsize unfriendly place and you happen to have a very nice truck. I'd consider Moab if I were you, at least for a maiden rock voyage. It's also an extreme environment but there are many trails that are less extreme that should whet your appetite for rock crawlin./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Very good advice...

8. JK5

Last year, the Con at Summit had 2 levels, the most difficult seemed to be MILD compared to Canfield, so I figured this would be a good place to get started.

Also, my Purple K5's bodywork is starting to show its age....RUST NEVER SLEEPS!!!!

And I have 2 77 K5s....I got to have some fun with one of them....The Black K5 is the POSER NOW!!! Check it out here: http://www.maddensales.com/images/blazer.jpg

Thanks Jerry /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. JK5

WOW /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif .... I didn't realize, you used that much brake....Thanks Russ /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    a rubicon

[/ QUOTE ]
    A Rubicon? I thought you were planning on running the Rubicon in California...

A staged rock crawl area is a whole nother thing...do what Russ said. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

11. JK5

No wonder you were so woried.......lol /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. tRustyK5

Uh-huh...the 'Con is a pretty unforgiving trail from the pic's and stories I've read. It's reasonably close so I may get stupid and try it someday, then I can tell ya first hand horror stories!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Rene

13. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I have never run rocks either, but I'm in the process of building up the truck now. I'll be going to the Summit Racing truckfest, it will be interesting to see how well you do. Your K5 is set up real nice, I'm sure its up to the task. I would offer to spot you, but I have no experience either! Anyway, see ya there, good luck!

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey BadDog, What is a 'converter' and what is a 'Trany Cooler'? heheheh J/K /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Damn slush box lovers /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    hehheehe
    Ok more coffee............ /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif