Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alright I need some golden advice...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Feb 1, 2003.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Ok, so here's the situation guys. As my profile shows... Im running some 39.5x18 boggers with a 14B FF in the rear and a stock 8-lug 30 spline 10B in the front. I got the truck ready to wheel recently, and I went for a little run at Pismo. I was backing up a dune (with all the weight of the truck on the front) and I blew up the u-joint on the front right axle shaft (naturally) along with the ends of the shafts themselves.

Ok, so heres the dilemma. I could...

a.) Replace the axle shafts with stronger cro-molly versions (around $600.00 or so?). This is after I spend the money to convert my carrier to a 28 spline, because no one makes an aftermarket shaft in a 30 spline. Not to mention I'm still going to have to be very careful, considering I blew something up on the 10-bolt on only my second real outting.

OR

b.) A place in my area has an entirely rebuilt Dana 60 (all new bearings, seals, etc.) complete and ready to go with my ratio (4.56) for $1650.00. They claim it will bolt right into my '89. I could spend the extra thousand and never have to worry.

WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK? I know if I valued any advice at all, it would come from you guys.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

go with option b thats the only way your going to hold up running those tires /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

B if ya got the $$$$$

4. K5thatShmobs

Any opinions on how the 10-bolt with the upgraded shafts might hold up? Obviously I know that the 60 will hold up.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

With 39.5" boggers and the weight of your truck the 10 bolt will break no matter what you do. If you upgrade the axles and u-joints the carrier itself will break.

Spend the $$ wisely and get the D60. The fact it has the right ratio and needs nothing makes up for the initial investment and it will laugh at the boggers...

Rene

6. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

option b

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Go for the 60, 10Bs won't live long with tires over 36s no matter what you do. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

No way that 10 bolt is ever going to live under those big wide boggers - period.
    The dana 60 is the wise choice. That's not a bad price if it really is rebuilt.
    You could buy the chromo shafts, but then you'd still have the 297 sized ujoints. No good.
    You could buy CTMs, but that will put you $300 closer to the D60 price.

Seriously, those tires are too much for that axle.
    -- Mike

9. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Use the search on Warn shafts in a D44. Shaggy had Warn shafts etc with the good spicer ujoints etc. He had 38" swampers and a tight limited slip in the front then he broke two sets of ring gears in that axle. So as everyone else said with those tires get the D60. Are they offering any waranty with the "rebuilt" D60? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif In fact see if they'll throw a lockright in the deal at that price. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. evilandangry

evilandangry 1/2 ton status

b) But you can do better on the price, or have them through in a detroit.

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

go with b /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

in the long run it will be cheaper, the 60 already has the gears you want, (less expense than changing) and you could spend more than 1650 by the time you find one, regear it and rebuild it, versus buying 10 bolt parts a few times a year (probably) /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. K5thatShmobs

Thanks all... I think the decision is clear. One more question though: Are Chevy 60s usually ready to bolt into a Blazer, or should I make sure that its from a certain type of vehicle, etc.?

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

All the Chev D60's are direct bolt in. For the money make sure you're getting the spring plates too as well as the locking hubs. I've seen so many D60's sold without either. The spring plates aren't that expensive, just a PITA to find. The lock-outs will set you back a few bucks though.

You'll need some sort of steering correction too. I'm planning on cross-over as soon as funds allow, but in the meantime I'm using a 3" steering block.

Rene

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

A D60 from a GM will bolt into any SFA Blazer K5 '69 to'91.

15. K5thatShmobs

Sweet... thanks for the info.