Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alright, I'm a little upset

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big pappa b, Jul 27, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Alright, I\'m a little upset

I just found out wife wife have been donating some of MY money to THESE CLOWNS /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    Time to break out the whoopin stick /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Alright, I\'m a little upset

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I wouldnt trip out. My wife donates money too, but what i dont know wont hurt me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif To the Police,starving children, the fire dept,childrens hospitals,you name it,the list goes on and on /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif................ /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

Use it to get info on what they're up to. You know, any eco-terror type links. Use it to help beat them at their own game. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Is there something wrong with conserving nature? I don't see any plots to shut down trails on their site, or to tag SUV's. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Nice "charity". They claim that their finances are an "open book" (required by law) but they under-report all of their officers salaries.

HERE is a nice story about their CEO.

Sure, save the world ...... but cut down a bunch of trees and kill a bunch of animals for my little piece of property.

Even the scientists who work there disagree with their conclusions.

I think it was the great philosophers Cheech and Chong who wrote a touching song about saving the whales:

Save the Whales

Save the whales
    Oh, funky momma, save the whales
    Yeah, Save the whales
    You just got to save the whales but believe me when I tell you,
    Kill the seals
    Yeah, kill the seals
    Cause the seals eat all the fish
    And if you don't like it when I say kill the seals then,
    Save your breath
    oh, save your breath------

[​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

get receipts.... tax write offs /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Thats why I buy girl scout cookies and chocolate bars /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

You guys realize that the Nature Conservancy would close down EVER PUBLIC OR PRIVATE TRAIL in America if they had their way, don't you? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif And NO - you won't find it on their web site either. You think they're gonna advertise it??

9. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

What a great organization! Your wife is a good woman! Thank her for me please.

I have worked with them and they do a lot of good for all of us and future generations to come. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Organizations such as this are no threat to us as long as we are responsible. When we blast through a protected meadow, destroy things and litter etc; what do you expect?

It is hard for me sometimes to see a lot of people get mad at these organizations when all they are trying to do is protect our future. All we have to do is police ourselves and there will be very few problems.

“Pack it in, pack it out”
    “Tread lightly”
    “Be responsible”
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    all they are trying to do is protect our future.

[/ QUOTE ]

So ....... If all I want to do is protect our future then I can get $245,000./year and a $2,000,000. house?

Cool, where do I sign up??

11. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    all they are trying to do is protect our future.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I am saying. I need to quit my job and be the CEO of a non profit organization.

Hey you want to start the "K5 Conservation Society"? I have dibs on CEO /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

So ....... If all I want to do is protect our future then I can get $245,000./year and a $2,000,000. house?

Cool, where do I sign up??

[/ QUOTE ]

12. backcountry

One bad apple shall not kill the entire harvest. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

It amazes me that because of the alleged actions of ONE person, that the whole organization is bad.

Why not try something of significants like Kenneth Lay former CEO for Enron. He screwed many hard working families out of not only their jobs but futures, retirement etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Hell no I won't thank her. Somehow one of their mail products slipped thru the cracks. I usually check the mail and shred them as soon as I see them

14. backcountry

LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

15. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My wife always says "Honey I wonder why we don't get any sale papers anymore?" /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Westy is a barkeater? Who would've thought....... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

17. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    What a great organization! Your wife is a good woman! Thank her for me please.

I have worked with them and they do a lot of good for all of us and future generations to come. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Organizations such as this are no threat to us as long as we are responsible. When we blast through a protected meadow, destroy things and litter etc; what do you expect?

It is hard for me sometimes to see a lot of people get mad at these organizations when all they are trying to do is protect our future. All we have to do is police ourselves and there will be very few problems.

“Pack it in, pack it out”
    “Tread lightly”
    “Be responsible”
    /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, you've clearly never had any real experience with The Nature Conservancy (TNC) nor have you done any research on them. If you have, you must wear some fancy wool.

If I were religious, I'd think TNC was satan incarnate.

First off... they are a propaganda machine. Second... the tell you as little as possible. Third... what they say they're going to do and what they do are totally different.

They are nothing more than spin doctors and snakes in the grass. I actually like Sierra Club in comparison. At least they don't flat out lie.

TNC has a history of being slick in my experience. They tell you that they're going to leave the land alone and let the current access continue as it has always been. In reality, they put a concrete-posted cattle gate over every access point and put up signs saying only people on foot are allowed in. They have a longstanding history of pissing people off, including fishermen.

Yes, that's right, they have a history of closing down fishing trails that have been there since before TNC was founded.

The best part of TNC is that they won't tell you what land they own and the rules for that land unless you try really really hard.

Our area has its own flavor of TNC. It's called the North Woods Conservancy. They are slicker than snot on a doorknob. They bribe landowners into selling their land for next to nothing to be turned into "nature reserves" in which the land is kept "as it is". They gate everything. They expect donations to enter their land. They've pissed off just about every fishermen around here. And all people do here is drink beer and fish. NWC actually purchased a little over a square mile of my favorite wheeling spot a couple years ago. Thankfully, they don't have enough money and are going to end up selling the land in 2006 when the loan comes due. The only thing I have to say that is positive about NWC is that they want you to use their land... just on foot or bike and they'll actually tell you where their land is.

We've also had a rash of people start investment properties and "close down" offroading/hiking/partying areas that have been used for several decades. Pretty much ever since the skidder trails were created a century ago.

Our school's club is the only club that cleans up trails in the area. Our club also gets all the blame for everything. I don't see bicyclists keeping their deflated innertubes in their packs or see equistrian riders picking up thrown shoes. And I certainly don't see hikers keeping tabs on their granola wrappers.

Instead of supporting the "greenie" causes I suggest you support things like Blue Ribbon Coalition and other offroading-based groups that are about responsible land use and against closures. One of the better ones in the Great Lakes area is the Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association.

North Woods Conservancy
    <font color="red">Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association</font>

18. backcountry

So what is one of the reasons these types or organizations are formed?

Because we as humans cannot seem to treat our environment with respect. We shoot holes in every sign we see, cut across the woods/meadows to make our own trails, litter, leak oil/fluids all over, kill the vegetation and animals, cause excessive erosion, crap all over the place, destroy everything in our paths etc. Hum! I wonder why?

Take advantage of a good situation and abuse our privileges, and we shall have them taken away.

If you think of life as a whole; it all boils down to us! We are responsible and will suffer the consequences of our actions, both the good and bad. If we cannot police ourselves; we shall be policed! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

19. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Those few people that abuse those privileges should not be the excuse for condemning all those who enjoy those privileges. If that's the case then our sport isn't the only thing that should be taken away. Your reasoning is what allows great disasters to happen like the Holocaust.

If every tree-hugging lumber-licking granola-eating pantywaster that pissed and moaned about our trail use (and sometimes abuse) drove a Toyota Prius, heated their home with solar energy, didn't use plastic products, and had piss-into-water filters the world would benefit more than targetting the closure of all use to motorized off-road enthusiasts.

However, these people are the ones that drive beat up Civics, Exploders, and minivans getting a "good" 18mpg emitting horrible emissions because they don't maintain their vehicle plus drive 25,000 miles a year because they're so absent minded they go to the grocery store 5 days a week for granola, mexican-picked strawberries, and vanilla yogurt. They heat their houses using fuel oil and do it at 72°. They use ZipLoc bags like they're going out of style filling our landfills with them and their McDonald's bags they accrue five days a week while recycling nothing. In the summer they cool their houses to a "comfortable 70°". Fido, their favorite pet that they overfeed and leave leashed outside around the well head pisses right next to the well casing which pollutes the water for the next 15 miles because everyone sucks their water out of the same vane of sandstone between two layers of shale.

These organizations are formed because people want to feel good about themselves. They find something that is small and they are neither interested in nor understand and target it.

Think about it this way. If every geriatric didn't dump god-aweful amounts of fertilizer, pesticide, and herbicide on their lawns the world would be a lot less polluted. If those same geriatrics didn't water the crap out of their lawn every day we wouldn't have water problems. If they didn't cut their grass every four days because of the above we'd have a lot less air pollution. If they didn't fear being bored they wouldn't have turned their 5 acres of what used to be pristine farmland into their homestead in which they mow all 4.5 acres because there are no trees. Why aren't there any anti-"geriatric moving into farmland chemical treating and mowing the piss out of the lawn" groups? Because the geriatric group is so large and the people that would target them will soon be those same geriatrics. It's the same reason why geriatrics don't have to get a new driver's license with testing every year. The world would greatly benefit from that as well.

20. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair