Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alright its driveshaft time?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Jan 6, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

now since i put in that 12 bolt, my rear driveshaft got significantly shorter. Now i plan to put that 4 inch rough country suspension lift on my truck, problem: rear driveshaft is toooo short, so what i would think of doing is take it to a shop that does this stuff, and pay them to make it longer and balance it, is this a good idea? or no, and how much will it cost. And after i install the lift, will i experience any problems with the front driveshaft?, thanks everyone /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It should cost about $100 for them to lengthen and balance your shaft.
    4" lift usually doesn't require the front shaft to be lengthened, but it doesn't hurt esp. if you have a lot of flex.
    -- Mike

3. 87sm465np208

hmmm, alright, so 255$ for the lift, and 100$ for the driveshaft work, 355$, alright, cool. thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

4. 87sm465np208

Alright, well now, ime pretty much hell bent on the lift again, i dont really care that i have to lenthen the driveshaft and how much it cost. now im curious, do i have to drive this thing down to the alighnment shop after i do a 4" lift, im planning on the standard 4" rough country lift, no i dont care about ride or flex that much, just bad ass ness and ground clearence. so do i have to take it down to the alighnment shop, or are we just talkign about puttin the stuff on, and extending my driveshaft. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 87sm465np208

would blocks be ok, i hear they cause axle breakage? WTF, i dont get it, all i use the truck for is cruiseing town, and occasional off-roading, nuthin special. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Blocks are not the best choice , but for what you are gunna use your rig for they would be fine. I use blocks for now but will be getting new springs as soon as money alows it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 87sm465np208

yea, now all i have to do is plan this all out, and break it out over spring break /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, extend the driveshaft, and put the lift on, and take PICTURES!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.