Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alright MSD experts I need help!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TWISTEDJACK, Jul 31, 2005.

1. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am almost done with swaping my drivetrain over from my truck to my K5. I can't get the ignition to fire. All of these parts were installed on the same motor and with the same distibutor and same ignition box. I have checked the wiring several times. I am getting 12 volts while cranking. The coil gets very hot. I already burn up one coil. What do you think is the problem?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Call MSD, their tech support is awesome and they know thier products much better than any of us will.

3. corey6969

corey6969 Registered Member

which ignition box do you have? I have the 6al and it says the coil wont be charged if just the key is turned on. See if it gets hot just turning the key on, if it does ide hafta say its something with the box, or maby a wiring problem :D . But im sure the nice MSD people would help you much more then i could.

4. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Hot coil

Sounds like you've got some wires crossed somewhere, and the coil is shorting to ground. www.msdignition.com has wiring diagrams online to make sure you got everything going where it needs to be.

5. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks I spent 5 minutes on the phone and I should have it fixed tonight.