Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alright, new idea *NEW QUESTION*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87sm465np208, Jan 12, 2003.

1. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

in the next few months im gunna put a 4 in. lift on my truck, and im gunna have to have the driveshaft lenthened, what if i got a driveshaft from a longbed, and had them cut it down? to fit, would this be cheaper then having them lenthen my existing driveshaft? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: alright, new idea

if cost to buy a long bed driveshaft plus cost of having it shortened is <= existing shaft + price to lengthen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

No need with 4" lift

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I don't think you will need to worry about shaft either, but if you do, bowtie is right. unless you have another shaft layin around.

5. 87sm465np208

well guys, its just i put a freakin 12 bolt in my truck, and the slip yoke isnt sticking in as far as it used to, that is my only concer, and it is a shortbed, i will look into it when it gets warmer out, i plan to do this over spring break if do it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. and since i will be puttin the springs in the front, and blocks in the rear, i will get those napa extended brake lines for the front, and just use the bracket for the rear because im not doing springs /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif in the rear.

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I've done 2" and 4" on several blazers(shorter wheelbase than your truck) and haven't had problems. When I upped to 6" I did. also gained vibration problems. but that was all angles.

7. 87sm465np208

hmmm,Does anyone know how much more the slip yoke sticks out after the 4" lift? from where it was before? well maybe i will jack up the truck tomarow, take the driveshaft off the rear end, and drop it down 4" and see how much slip is left in the slip yooke, if i dont! i will be a happy man. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, and yea my T-case is already droped. was like that when i bought it. well tomrow or some day i will park it in the driveway, block the wheels, perhapes take the wheels off the ground and on the frame and see, ill post back when i do it. wish me luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

8. 87sm465np208

how much more does the slip yoke stick out of the T-case after a 4" rough country Block lift in the rear? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

After installing the rough country 4" lift rear springs on my sub...I've still got more slip yoke left in the tail-shaft than out of it. If I had to put a measurement on it, I'd say maybe a little more than 3" of spline contact surface, but that's my best guess. Remembering from over a year ago from when I had to pull the driveshaft out to replace the u-joints.

10. 87sm465np208

tomarow i will check it out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif