Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alright poll on CO2 or Air compresser

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by surpip, Nov 2, 2004.

1. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Im not shure here, really leaning toward CO2 but id like to hear from people that have actually run eaither one of these systems

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've only ran (and still do) a york compressor, so I don't have any CO2 experience. The reason I went with the york is cause of having to carry an extra bottle or 2 with you just in case your main bottle runs out. And the fact that you have to go in and have them refilled. With my york, I just flip a switch and the tanks fill back up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I have a 15 pound co2 setup, but plan to carry both the york and co2 setup.

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Even though he's a butt goblin, i agree with muddytazz...
    I have a powertank c02 setup, and when i go for long wheeling trips like blazerfest for a week.. i bring both 10lb bottles, just in case i break down and have to use air tools or fill up a bunch of tires, i have the second bottle filled up back at camp..
    I pay about $22 every time i go to get the 2 10lb bottles filled with co2.. and i've already filled them up at least 10 times.. So looking back now, yah pretty soon here i'm gonna get a york compressor and get an on board air setup going so i don't have to worry about my tanks being filled.. one less thing to worry about when getting ready for a trip.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yikes! $22? find a different place to fill'er up man!

i never run air tools on mine and i generally dont fill up other people's tires... so a 10# bottle lasts a little while for me. I carry a "truck air" 12v compressor as my emergency backup. I've never needed it on the trail, but its there just in case and it can get my 39.5s up to street-pressure so its all good.

j

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I ran a poll similar a while back. It ended up on the Air compressor side. I ended up going the air compressor route too. Thing I like about the York is once you got it working your done spending money on it, Or should be. Not too expensive to fill a CO2 tanks but how many times will you fill it over the years was the factor that made me go to a York. Oh, and the york fell in my lap for free.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

well that makes it nice, anybody want to give me some free stuff? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I plan to use CO2, but I only want it for airing up tires.

I think if you plan to do airtools and that, I would look hard at a compressor setup.

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

nah dood, $22 IS the cheapest place I've found around here!.. So its around $10 for a 10 lb bottle.. ~about $1 a lb...?
    How much you get your co2 filled up for?? I should call around some more.. and go yank a york outta a volvo.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    Good thing we aren't using nitrous here..
    2 10lb tanks would be around $100 to get them filled up at the local speed shop. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

10. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I get my 10lb filled up for $5 at airgas, I love my Co2 tank, you can take it anywhere you want and I also use it for my mig welder and just swap regs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

One thing to keep in mind is that with Co2 you can open up the regulator and re-set a tire bead real quick. I have even seen it done with the weight of the rig on the tire.
    Just open the regulator wide open, take off the air chuck thingy, remove the air stem valve and blast away...swwwwooooppp POW the bead is set /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Im really thinkin im gonna go with CO2 seem's cheaper and more convient /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good point on re-seating beads. CO2 tanks with good HIGH flow regs can do it... no underhood compressor (that I know of) can.

j