Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alt/Batt setup?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Blazer79, Mar 8, 2000.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

What alt/batt setup do you run? After I installed my 300W amp, the Volt gauge on the cluster is fluctuating with every bass kick, even with the engine on! How do I know if I should upgrade my alt/batt setup?

PD After all, that Jensen sounds pretty good, even if it was not what they claimed it to be.[​IMG]

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Have a Die Hard single battery being juiced by a 140 amp Wrangler Products direct charge alternator. Running the A/C, amplifiers thumping, headlights on, AND the 2 130 watt "driving" lights on, even at idle there is no problem.........Will be upgrading to dual batteries soon, but for now this is just fine. All depends on your alternator putting out the juice.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

3. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

If you cant afford the new alternator or battery, you could try a small capacitor. it will probaly help.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Aint nothin' like the sound of Chevy Thunder

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Go for the capacitor upgrade first. Remember that adding a second battery will ONLY extend the "engine-off" listening time.

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Capacitors

Could you broaden up on the capacitor topic? I know the basic theory about it, but should I go to an electronics shop and get a bare capacitor and hook it in series or parallel? or are there kits designed to go on cars? If so, what brands? What price range am I looking here?

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]