Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alt. Belt question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudNurI, Jan 4, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

This spring- when I finally was able to drive the truck, my alt. belt had a nasty squeeel when you first started it- once it was running, it stopped- but anyway we changed the belt. Got the belt as tight as it will go....anyway- it still would squeel a tiny bit when you started it up- with the carb being screwed up I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running until it warms up, then runs like a charm...it would stop squeeling before it warmed up...if it was warm- the engine- it wouldn't squeel at all.......like when I got to a store, went in, came out and started it- it was fine... but if it sat for more than a few hours- squeeellll...

this winter- I have been starting the truck every third day or so, and letting it run for about 1/2 hour, without back brakes, I only drive it down the road, and turn around..(side road- and only go 3 houses down, stay in 2nd, not going more than 5-8 mph..)...the last few days I have had to start it every day and move it because of snow.......and it hasn't squeeled at ALL...does the cold weather make the belt tighter???? I can't figure out why it would do it all summer, and fall, even after a new belt, and now that it's 20' outside- it doesn't do it....

Brandy

2. Stylzz

Stylzz Registered Member

Are you sure that the belt squeeling is the alt belt and not another one. I would say make sure the pullys are lined up, check the belt tightness by pushing in the middle of it, if there is 6" between the pullys it shoud give about 1/4", if there is 12" between the pullys it should give about 1/2". I think the Haynes manual has this info in it. If this is all ok, I would say just buy another belt and try again. Hope this helped,
    Joe

3. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

The squealing could be caused by one of your pulleys, if they wear and the groove gets wider, the belt contacts the bottom of the groove and doesn't grip the sides of the groove, no matter how much you tighten it, since it is sitting and not being driven much, the pulley may have gotten some surface rust on the groove faces and now it grips better.

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info on the pulleys hadn't thought of that...

btw, where is stonington, never heard of it.

Brandy