Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alt. conditions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Elevator Man, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

I have a 100 amp alt on my bazer, today I was winching a friend out and my volt gauge goes way way down when I would pull or let out on my 8274.Ive got a new belt on it and its good and tight. When I first start my truck it takes a minute for the alt to get excited and it makes the belt squeal. It also squeals after I would winch a little bit. has anyone had this problem or think there is something wrong with my charging system? THANX

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I doubt there's anything wrong. Consider that when loaded your winch will pull a coupla hundred amps out of the electrical system, yeah, the voltage is gonna drop.

For serious winching, consider two batteries and perhaps some sort of isolation system.

-- A

3. Elevator Man

Elevator Man 1/2 ton status

my winch pulls fine my concern is the squealing on the belt, when there is a load on the alt it slips really bad

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I hate to say it, but the answer is yes.

The alternator, when loaded, will require more torque to spin, which may be more than the belt can transmit. A tighter or cleaner belt might help. You could switch over to a serpentine setup.

Or you could do the dual battery thing, perhaps with an alternator, which I'm pretty sure is what I said the first time.

-- A

5. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I thought I saw on this site a setup that had the winch and batteries isolated. Basically the alternator charged the batteries but didnt directly power the winch. That ran off the batteries so when pulling no extra load was placed on the alternator. That was able to run the vehicle and the lighter load accessories. Give a search. There are some guys on here with more complex wiring setups than on my old man's sailboat, and pull all the time.

[​IMG]

I dont know what all this stuff is yet, but I'm learning too!