Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alt. overcharging?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seslick77, Oct 4, 2002.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Volt meter is reading in the red on the high side... Is the Alternator overcharging? Battery reads fine...just jumps up when its running.

Sam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Should be around 12 volts with your truck off, if it's charging right it'll jump up when it's running. Man I wish I had your problems /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do you have access to a DMM? If it's charging about 14.5 volts that might be a problem, but I'm not sure.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Might be the voltage regulator, not cutting of at higher RPMs. I have the opposite problem, low when driving, normal at idel? J

4. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

did you ever figure out what was causing this problem????????

ric

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

A good battery should have between 12.2 and 12.6 Volts, even seen a few at 13 volts.
    When the system is charging, you should have a max of 14.4, 14.5 volts. And a min 13.5 volts.
    Any thing beyond these numbers means your regulator is bad.
    Anything below these number means your alternator isn't up to the load you have.

6. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Yep problem was fixed! Replaced the regulator and fixed it for 2 days then it was undercharging!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Had it tested and alt. was shot. Thats when I realized that it was my fault it died.... The night I finally got my Blazer running I decided to go on a little test drive. 11 at night no plates, no insurance, just figure I take it around the block... Got two blocks at she dies!! No motor, no lights, notta!! Pulled over and noticed smoke rolling out of the hood. First instinct was oh sh*t I locked up my new motor!! Popped the hood and the batt. cables are on fire!! Thats when I realized I ran the damn pos. cable between the frame and the manifold. She got hot and melted the covering off and shorted out on the exhaust manifold... Well long story short, fried 2 new cables, alt. and regulator, and welded the starter to itself!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Won't do that again!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I have a problem with accidentally setting my vehicles on fire... And I'm a damn fireman....go figure!! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

thanks, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

i'm having the same problem.. i'm going to take it and have it tested and see what the deal is......

ric