Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alt. pulley not lined up?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Triaged, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I finally got around to swapping in my new dual output 135A alt. It is externally regulated and based on the same housing as the factory alt. When I put the belt on I noticed that it didn't line up...so I took off the new one and put back on the old one...and found the old one doesn't line up either.

I have the factory cast iron fork mount and the p/s lines up just fine...why doesn't the alt. and how should I go about fixing it?

Is there a longer pulley I could find at the j/y?
    I'd just shimm the pulley with some washers but I would run out of threads on the shaft... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

i threw in a new alt recently and mine was off just a bit. Has not caused any problems yet. I thought the belt might jump off the pulley but its just fine. I bent the bracket a bit to get it as aligned as I could

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You bent the cast iron bracket?

I couldn't figure out why it was out of alignment. I made a spacer about 1/4" thick to put behind the mount. I then just bolted it on with some longer bolts. It looked like the pullies were parallel with each other...just the alt was back 1/4 to 3/8". All the other pullies lined up just fine. If it was a non-stock alt or bracket I could understand the problem...but it all looked factory to me /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I finally got it all hooked up and test fired it. I set the voltage at 13.4V...and then my truck ran out of gas /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I am going to button up the wiring Sunday and finish ditching the ammeter.