Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alt question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by grunt11b40x, Nov 15, 2003.

1. grunt11b40x

grunt11b40x 1/2 ton status

got a 75 k5 and my altenator squeals only at night when my lights are on. the volts normally are at 14 during the day and 12 with the lights on. does anyone have anyideas on how to stop the noise? I was thinking about a self exciting alt but I am unsure if that would stop the racket under the hood.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Sounds like when you turn on your lights, something is pulling a major draw on your battery causing your alt to work twice as hard.

3. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it is about time for a new alternator.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    My old one used to do that. Would only squeal when I turned my foglights on. That was right before it went tits and took my battery out with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

self exciting won't help. Have you tried tightening the belt or how about a new belt. Sounds to me when the alt gets a load the belt slips. Could simply be a worn out belt that is stretching to much. Start with the cheap stuff for fixing/troubleshooting. Something I always look at with an electrical problem is ground wires. They can do some funny stuff. Make sure they are all tight and clean connections. Have you tested the battery? Voltage is 14 unless headlights are on. I assume you are looking at the gauge in the dash. Could be that your battery is already on its way out and the alternator is working like hell just to keep it at 14 volts then when you put the headlights on it can't keep up. Just some things to check. Good luck.