Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alt. wire keep melting...Help

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TONYP, Sep 21, 2002.

1. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

My pos. wire from my alt. keeps melting at the alt..
    2nd time now. I was going out to install a alt. conversiom kit on it today, good thing...But what would make the wire melt? I have a big stereo in the truck...ummm...could it be pulling to many amp? It is the old external alt. I think putting out 75 amp.
    /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

IS the wire original or did someone replace it. I would check the gauge and try running a larger size first.

3. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

It should have a fusible link in it. At the alt. side of the wire. That should "melt" before the actual wire melts. You could have a bad regulator. Which is grounding. How long does it last?
    If it were me I would go with an internal reg. alternator.
    If you need help wiring this in I, or some others can help you. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Don't really know how long the wire lasts, been driving the truck for about 3 or 4 week before I looked under the hood and found it hanging. So I guess it lasts awhile or my batt. is doing one hell of a job. I just picked up an internal alternator today and will run a 10 gage wire to the batt. I will install an alternator conversion kit to replace the volt reg., What size fuse should I put on it? (no fuse found on it)Thanks

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

If its your main charge wire (which I doubt highly) Your battery would not last that long. It is probibly one of the...............you know what I don't have a clue what the wire would be for? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Any how in the main charge wire I would not run a fuse. I would use a fusable link, which is basiclly a smaller gauge piece of wire. It has less resistance than a fuse so the wire can carry all the amprage it needs to the battery(s). My only question to you is, what is the new int. reg. alternator rated at?

6. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

Ok, the wire that melts goes from the back on the alt. to the batt., so it should be the main charging wire. I'm installing the new alt. right now, it's 65 amp. charging. I was going to run a 10gage wire to the batt from the alt, should I step it down to a smaller wire inbetween?

7. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

I say jump up and get a 4 ga. battery cable and hook that in there. It'll be able to handle whatever alternator you put on your truck, probably up to 200 amps or so, and you can get them cheap at any parts store or even Wal-mart.

My .02,

Buddy