Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alt wiring help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Oct 16, 2006.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i swaped out the old 79 style alt for a serp belt setup with the smaller alt that comes with the serp setup. i need to splice the wires over. does anyone have a wire diagram ?

also i read someplace gm offered a swap over mini plug harness for this. any help would be great. snow is coming soon and i need to finish this swap.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Pretty sure this has been covered in the Pontiac Trans Sport alternator threads. All I know is the Trans Sport alternator is 140A or more (mine was clocked @ 160A according to its paperwork) and is a drop in replacement on 350's. :)

Anyway, I got a new-style plug and an old-style socket at the parts store, soldered them up, and called it good. The red and black wires went straight through, the brown one was tied off, and of course I needed a bigger wire from the alternator post to the battery.

Your new-style should be the same wiring.

See

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164235&highlight=pontiac+alternator

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150135&highlight=pontiac+alternator

For more details, links, etc.

-- A

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Uh, they get $24-40 for a plug I spent eight bucks on? :crazy: I thought the eight bucks was steep. Wow.

-- A