Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

altenator help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Apr 24, 2005.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have a old style setup in the ride. its external regulator now. i want to change it to 1 wire alt how easy and what parts thanks.:D

this is all in a 73 mustang . i know ford bla bla but its moms car and we need to keep her happy.:cool1:

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Why do you want to go 1 wire? If you find one that will bolt in the place of your old one, all you need to do is hook up the one wire directly to the battery. I usually prefer to use a fusible link right at the battery too so if somehow the alt. shorts out you won't explode the batt. The only problems you may encounter are if you have an amp gauge or warning light. They are usually hooked up to the voltage regulator. Other then that you should be good to go.

3. sweetk30

i want to clean up the engine area and make it clean and simple . i might have said wrong i just dont want the regulator setup out there. was thinking gm alt swap like are trucks have. thanks for the help any more would be great.

4. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

Just find a single wire alt. and hook it up. Most hot-rodders do the same thing to keep everything clean and simple. I know I've seen them in whitney's just don't know how good they are. Maybe check with summit. They may even have one that will work with an amp gauge/warning light if you have one.

5. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

6. sweetk30

well this is vary help full for me . if any one can help with where the wires go on a 3 wire alt this would be great. i am not the best at wiring stuff. i like to have it easy and simple. thanks so far guys.

7. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Check around too see if there is a local shop that rebuilds alts. in your area. Most of them can put together a high out put unit and install it for you.