Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Altenator Mods

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by petryshyn, Nov 30, 2005.

1. petryshyn

petryshyn 1/2 ton status

http://members.1stconnect.com/anozira/SiteTops/energy/Alternator/alternator.htm

Was reading about making an altenator pump out 120V by bypassing the regulator. The write up I posted above gave me good information but I still have a few questions left. You bypass the regulator to have 12V in it at all times instead of the small amount, then at the exit how does it come out, I figured out that you would hook up two of the pos AC stuff to the one outlet at the back and a ground to the case of frame. Is that correct? or does a guy have to bypass the diodes inside. If anyone has any iformation it would be greatly appreciated. (This is on a Delco Remy out of a 1976 truck which I believe is the 63 amp altenator)

Matthew

2. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

What are you going to run off of it? More then likely the high frequency AC is going to distroy most newer electronics :doah: An inverter would be in my opinion a safer and easier way to go then try to run dual alternators and converting one over to AC.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

coincidence!

Funny,I was up late reading the same site on "altenator secrets"..I'm interested in making a welder out of one of the many spare GM altenators cluttering up my shop..I have a few engines I could use to power them..they show how to bypass the internal regulator,and take out the diode trio to get AC at unlimited voltage from a GM altenator,on some other sites I found on a google search..(its as easy as leaving an insulator bushing off one of the regulators bolts!)..

As for getting 110V AC from an altenator,that site explains how it IS possible to get 110 VOLTS AC,but an altenator will not be producing 60 cycle AC,as Divorced stated--it produces a much higher cylce,in the hundreds!..it says SOME devices that use transformers will work on higher cycles,but not many!

I'd say read up more on the chapter that explains how to make an electric motor into a generator --that will make 60 cycle current!--its pretty easy,all you really need to do is get the proper kind of motor (induction) and add a few capacitors to the AC line cord,and run it a bit faster than its rated speed as a motor!..some motors need to have the "starting switch" inside disabled to work as a generator..

Be aware they wont power other motors well,if at all--they are mostly good for lights and things without motors..using a car altenator with one of those 12V to 110V AC inverters is probably the way to go if you need to run motors,but they need to be high wattage,and are not cheap!..might be cheaper to just buy a generator from Home Depot!.. :doah: :crazy:

I'm tempted to make a welder out of one,just to see if it works as good as they claim..and see if it lasts more than a few minutes!..then I was reading a few sites on Tesla coils.... :thinking: :D :shame: :yikes: :crazy:

4. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

the problem is regulating the voltage/current. u would have to make a regulator and that is costly as well. the generator u would make would be sissy and not able to power to much. voltage is inversly porportional to amperage. so ure looking at about 6A load at 110V. not good for much in that type of set-up