Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"altered" vehicle showcar insurance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jhrody, Apr 9, 2004.

1. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

\"altered\" vehicle showcar insurance

what companies will insures an "altered" vehicle as a show vehicle?

the plates on my Jimmy have been suspended for 2 months now for emissions reasons.

Since it's got a highly cammed 461 in it with no emissions equipment whatsoever, there is no way it would pass the sniffer.

all I have to do is find an insurance company that will insure a lifted truck as a show vehicle and then sign a special affidavit. Sounds easy, but it is not.

When I bought the truck, I insured it through my regular insurance company along with the rest of my fleet. Finding regular insurance was not a problem, especially since I don't drive it every day.

I get all these letters when I try to insure it as a show vehicle claiming they won't insure it because it has been altered, it's an "off-road" vehicle, it's a "competition" vehicle, blah, blah, blah.

How do the tubbed/narrowed/caged pro-street guys do it? Or does anyone have any knowledge of showcar insurance providers that aren't afraid of a lifted truck?

2. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

Re: \"altered\" vehicle showcar insurance

What ever you do. BE SURE to check-out your insurer! I'm getting hosed right now by mine. Click on the link in my sig, might help? Have you tried insuring for "stated value"?

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

id like to know myself
    because id hate to think that some people here dont have insurance /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The prostreet guys don't tell anyone what has been done to their car or they wouldn't have insurance, either.

If your truck is that wild, why are you driving it on the road in the first place, and if you don't, why do you need to insure it for road use?

If it's old enough, put antique plates on it.

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

dont some iusurance places inspect the vehicles prior?

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. There is no way in hell I could have my truck insured if they had any idea that it isn't just an old clunker.

7. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

You got it! If it's older than 25 years, it's antique. I had a 62 Skylark insured that way....full coverage for $10 a month! Bad thing is (as per a post I just made in the lounge) just because you have insurance don't mean SQUAT, especially living in Indiana. That's why I suggested everyone checking out theirs on the link in my sig. I have nothing to to (as far as relationship) to insurers, other than the fact that currently I'm being "made love" to by them (If ya get my drift). If you're wanting more than just PLPD, meaning you'll want your rig fixed in the event of an accident, make your agent PUT IN WRITING the dollar amount you'll get in the event it's totaled or stolen. Hell, anymore you gotta be an attorney to read a policy! For alittle added trivia, in 1945, the feds passed the McCarron-Ferguson Act. This exempted the Insurance Industry from anti-trust regulations. Guess it's easier to buy-off a state than it is a country. Trust me, it happen! If you live in CA, click yer browser & type in "Chuck Quackenbush and State Farm". He was the CA Insurance Comissioner that erased $3 BILLION of fines placed on Snake Farm in place of the $3 MILLION they "donated" to one of Quackenbushes "firms". Scarey stuff man!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    BTW- I'm currently fighting to change the laws here, since I've lost my HVAC business due to an accident that wasn't even my fault.

8. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

You can try Hagerty Insurance . They insure classic cars and boats. Dont know about show stuff.

9. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The prostreet guys don't tell anyone what has been done to their car or they wouldn't have insurance, either.

If your truck is that wild, why are you driving it on the road in the first place, and if you don't, why do you need to insure it for road use?

If it's old enough, put antique plates on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not quite 25 years old... 4 more years to go.

the truck is "wild" only regarding emissions. It's a good driver once it's warmed up.

10. jhrody

jhrody 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] for show insurance they want pictures