Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternative energy...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diesel4me, Aug 31, 2005.

1. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Saw this site on a Google search--lots of interesting stuff! www.theepicenter.com They show how to make a generator out of a lawnmower and a GM altenator,among other things!..They also sell MRE's,and inverters,and other survival related military surplus..

I looked up "homebuilt generators" and found a site that shows how to make an induction motor into a generator,simply by using capacitors,and a gas engine to spin it a bit higher rpm than its rated speed as a motor!..also a home built welder using a car altenator and a lawnmower motor--one was mounted on a riding mower!..

Another site sells plans for "Fuelless engines",and how to extract hydrogen from water to run engines and a heater that uses no electricity,by putting a zinc rod in used motor oil in an aluminum barrel!.--and how to make your own batteries from pvc pipe,and clorox bleach!--among other things!--.some interesting stuff!.. :crazy:

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cool site. I wish I had built a generator before this past weekend...

3. diesel4me

My intention!

Yes,I thought about all the people without power!--some might be out for 2 MONTHS! :eek1: --even 12V power would be better than none..but a GM altenator with an inverter will power a furnace or refridgereator..

The other site is www.fuellesspower.com interesting stuff there too..mostly "plans" for sale though..

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I actually got lucky. A friend with a generator has power, so I have his generator. With family and friends, we figured that someone would have power and we would all just send our kids/wives there.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm interested in finding more info out about a solar battery maintainer for my truck as it sits in my driveway for weeks or months.

I started some reading on it, but I found one instance where the trickle charger caused a battery to explode, and apparently that can happen. Car chargers are designed to shut off (well, good ones) when the charge is right, but apparently the cheapy solar panels don't have any circuitry like that.

Can't find a forum that deals with solar energy that would be appropriate to find more info out on this. I know the Army uses them, but I don't know how they are wired up to prevent overcharging.

Somewhat related to the thread, hope you don't mind!

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The Army uses the Solargizer panels by Pulsetech

They're not really a charger as they are a battery "maintainer" by keeping the plates clean after sitting for long periods of time. Pulsetech does sell a charger version. The Army just doesn't purchase it (much anyway) :confused:

8. diesel4me

Jump starts..

I thought the lawnmower/generator would be handy to use for jump starting a vehicle when no others are nearby(or could get close enough) to jump start it!...that,and to do yard chores with power tools far from an outlet.. :crazy: I have all the required stuff to build one--all I need is enough ambition to do it! :crazy: