Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternative fix for quick release door pins instead of drilling...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rick88blaze, May 8, 2006.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

This is in reference to an older thread where someone had a hard time drilling out there door hinge pins for quick release doors following instructions in THIS writeup.

Anyway, I did my driver's door last fall with no problems. I went to drill out my second set of hinge pins for my passenger door and could not get a drill bit to go through them. So after many drill bits and almost giving up I was looking through some of my junk tonight and came up with an alternative for drilling out the pins. Here it is:

I originally bought new pins and bushing last fall and used them to do this.

Take a hacksaw or cutoff wheel in a dremel and cut or grind a groove around the end of the hinge pin like in this pic: (just don't cut too far :eek1: )
    S2010025.JPG

Now get an "E" or "S" clip like this one or one with one straight side:
    S2010028.JPG

Now just slide it into the grooves like so:
    S2010029.JPG

If you use a hacksaw like I did you might have to use a small file to widen the grooves some. I used a triangle shaped file I had. :D :D

I hope this helps folks out. :D

Rick

S2010025.JPG

S2010028.JPG

S2010029.JPG

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Pretty slick :waytogo: And like you mentioned, probably a lot easier than drilling.

3. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I wish I had seen this b4 i modded mine. it was a pain in the ass to drill and the pins always spin around and face the wrong way so you can't take them out. Good tip and thanks you should ask a mod about adding this to the tech article on the subject.

4. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Im staying away from hack saws for awhile. I just cut the tip of my thumb off. I never knew how much i used my thumbs till now!

5. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

Honestly, why even worry about drilling/cutting/modding the top of the pins? I have had mine for well over a year now, used the lock pins, PITA...these doors are heavy enough to run without the lock pins or whatever you would be using. I DD mine and unlike the top, the doors are on more often than not. Ive never had a prob with a pin coming out, and i think only once has a pin moved enough to slide out of one half of the hinge. IMO, you are coming up with a solution to an almost non existant problem.

6. rick88blaze

Better safe than sorry is the way I do most things. Knowing my luck my pin would come out at the most in opportune time. Like middle of winter and -10 degrees or something like that. :D

I'd rather have something there to hold them in place and not worry about it than for my hinge pin to slide out at the wrong time. :D

Rick

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

even easier way...insert hacksaw blade of file into vise. chaulk the pin up in a drill...catch my drift?:D

Perfect groove every time, in no time!

8. rick88blaze

That's a pretty damn good idea!! :D :bow: :thumb:

Rick

edit: wait, you'd have to have a pretty big drill to get the head of teh pin in. There isn't enough of the shank of the pin to get a drill to bite into. :D

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

no bigger than 1/2" is it?

10. rick88blaze

I just checked, it's just over 1/2". It wouldn't fit into the chuck on either one of my drills. :D

Rick

11. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Frankly, even though I just took my doors off permanently, I feel that the pin trick is a waste of time. Slot the bolt holes in the door like the 'Yota guys do. Open door, loosen bolts a turn, lift and pull and you're good to go.

12. rick88blaze

Ok, so how well do they line back up when putting them back on? I know it took me a little while to get my driver's side door lined up when I took it off to put these pins in it. I haven't done my passenger door yet.

Rick

13. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to do mine in the hot weather outside right now.. trying to drill it, and its a PITA. I may do a grove like this thread...
    But I was wondering.. what if I just put both the pins in with the head on top, and the bottom of the pin facing down, and just let gravity hold them in.. would this be asking for trouble?
    thanks,
    James

14. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

As soon as you figure out how to put the top pins in with the head on top, let us all know.............

Haven't personally tried drilling actual door pins, but I have drilled grade 8 bolts to replace them and it was pretty easy. Took maybe 1 minute each with a hand drill. Are the actual pins made of harder material or something?

15. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

you cant get the top one in from the top if I remember correctly.

16. 78Suburban

ok, I was oversimplifying it.. brainfart.. thanks for the heads up........

now I gotta figure out how to get a hole in this beast.. its getting downright annoying.

rick, or anyone else who has done the grove.. how well has it worked out for ya?

thanks,
    James

17. djohnson

djohnson Registered Member

Here is another thing about door removal that I found out last weekend, one week too late for me.

If you have power doors. There is no need to cut the wires and make connections for them inside the boot. On the inside of the truck you should be able to locate the wires right about the same height at the boot. Now follow those wires up about 4in and you will find a connection. Disconnect and pull through to the outside. The driver door requires some interesting wire fishing or you can just drull yourself a new hole to get the wires in easily. This is a lot neeter than a bunch of unnecessary connections.

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

How come no one uses a bolt the right diameter . I wouldn't imagine it taking too long to use a stubby ratchet on 4 nuts .

I am lazy , I just unbolted the door and left the hinges on the truck last time I swapped doors for trail .

But your idea is cool though :D

19. 78Suburban

muahaha ha ha

Now I've got the system down. Start a pilot hole with an abrasive pointy thingey on the dremel tool, with the rpm's cranked out. Insert pin into vise. Throw a 5/64 drill bit in press, use lots of oil and go slow..

I also think my angle grinder got a little carried away with the splines :o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. rick88blaze

To be honest I haven't put them in yet. I had surgery right before I did them and due to that I can't lift anything over 20 pounds until the middle of this month. I'll be in Texas then so I can't install them until I get home the middle of July. I'll post up after I get them installed. :thumb:

Rick