Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alternative schools

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mostwanted, Apr 26, 2007.

1. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

My father wants me to go talk to a class at a alternative school. I attended behavioral disorder classes up untill my freshman year of High School. I made new friends in HS, and I had a better attitude about life from then on. Anyway, I would consider myself successful now as I have a career and a degree and fit right in to normal society. I am looking for some ideas. Anyone else have expieriance with alternative schools or behavioral classes?

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

no,but GOOD for you bo!!!!!:bow: :D

3. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

No experience but I don't see an advantage to putting special needs people all together away from everyone else. I think that they would benefit from having contact with the rest of the population instaed of being treated as different...unless they are completly out of control.

4. mostwanted

I would have to disagree. The way it was when I was in school you didn't go to a seperate school. You either went to a classroom set aside someplace all day or part of the day and checked in. All depends on your particular situation. If you were in trouble all the time you spent more time in that class. Personally, I was only in there a few times a day. Problem was, other kids knew I had to go there and razzed me alot about it. So it would seem to be better to seperate to prevent furthar problems. On the other hand, the school work in the special classes wasn't as challenging as it was in the mainstream classes. So, I guess it WOULD be hard to develope a good program to help these kids if I were the school administration.:confused:

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I went to alternative high school during/after sophomore year. It was primarily for "bad" kids, not "special" kids. The special kids all had their own classes in the regular school.
    Truth be told, I didn't need to be there very long, but I was, so I pretty much actually became a decent student...

Go talk to them, give them hope... :rotfl:

6. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Right...I'm kinda off the vernacular/lexicon here. I'm really an idiot, I just use big words.:o

7. mostwanted

that's what I am takling about. The school system called it BD for Behavioral Disorder, but the other kids called it learning disabilies to razz ya. I either ignored 'em or kicked their lilly asses:D . But I want to let them know that there is a long life past being a teenager and that period of your life really is a small portion of the big picture.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Any opportunity to help a kid do better is worth the time.

9. babyburb

babyburb 1/2 ton status

I am involved on a daily basis in an Emotionally Disturbed class. I deal with many different types of kids all across the board. As for the main stream classes vs. special ed classes, everyone who enters my room is working towards going back to regular ed. The time away from main stream classes give them the oppurtunity to learn to deal with their specific disablilty and in turn will begin to gradually enter back into classes at their own pace. SOme only go to 1 class but they are going BACK. Others might get 2, 3, or even 4 classes.

As far as you speaking with an alternative class, I have had MANY speakers come in with ALL types of background and the kids absolutley are thrilled that someone cares enough for them to sit down and talk to them. Mostwanted, as a Special Ed teacher, give your time for the kids. Even if you think at the end that you accomplished nothing, I promise you that their will be someone whos day was made better because you cared. :bow:

10. WinslowS

WinslowS 1/2 ton status

Most of the guys I know in the alternative school here just don't give a damn. They do drugs, sell weed to others, don't do **** in school, and end up dropping out. Two of them are/were good friends of mine, its sorta sad.