Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternative smaller gas tanks for better clearance?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KrebsATM02, Nov 14, 2006.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I have the 31 gallon tank in my blazer and it's been dented down to 25ish gallons. When I took it off today due to rotting gas lines, I noticed the baffle had been broken loose again. I fixed this some number of years ago, but the dents in the tank pushed it off again.

I'd like to find a smaller tank, that still uses a similar sending unit. I know there is the 24ish gallon tank from suburbans, anything smaller? What tanks would use a similar sending unit?

Any one know what astro/safari vans use? How about S10's? I'm assuming car tanks would be different.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2006
  2. KrebsATM02

Changed the title...Hope that gains more interest!

I think i've ruled out s10/astro tanks. They have a funny shape to them. Camaro tanks seem to be the right shape, I'm checking one out today.

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

it is listed in the parts for sale. You can look through it but can't post. If you see something just email me and I can PM them for you. eastcoast-k5@hotmail.com

4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Also on eBay there is a new for less than $111.00

NEW GAS TANK: 1987 CHEVROLET BLAZER, SUBURBAN
    1987 GMC JIMMY, SUBURBANItem number: 120041535855

5. KrebsATM02

Well I ended up cutting two tanks in half. I'm going to weld them together tonight and then pressure test it.

I plan on cutting about an inch strip out of one of the remaining halves and use it as a backing between the two tanks. I'll probably weld 2 small beads along each half onto the backing strip and then run one bead over the top.

Then I'll slosh some tank sealer around in the tank.

It's a cut little tank, probably somewhere around 10-12 gallons. I think it might be small enough that it doesn't hang below the frame rails.

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Why not get one of those composite tanks that are made out of that plastic stuff? Apparantly it doens't break easily when hit, and should retain it's shape pretty well too.

I'd personally be fairly concerned about welding on a gas tank unless you are totally sure there won't be any fumes to ignite...

7. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

fill them w/ water and detergent to wash them out... i have sectioned lots of tanks before.... just be smart about it...

8. KrebsATM02

well that would have helped before I burned down the garage!:D

Nah, on my previous post I already said I cut them in half. I've got the two halves welded together and had a total of six leaks. I pressurized it with a couple of psi and did the old soap solution to check for bubbles. The places I had the leaks were all tiny cracks where the welds had cooled and contracted the metal around them. Those places were where I had larger welds so it was hotter.

I also modified the sending unit so it's much shorter. Tank height is now 7ish inches. I also put some por tank sealer in that I had left from my motorcycle tank to hopefully seal the weld so it doesn't rust from the inside. I put the tank on its side and then dumped it in past the baffle. I rotated it it every couple of minutes to get on all four sides where I welded. Left it sitting on it's side so it doesn't gum up the baffle.

9. draggbody

draggbody 1/2 ton status

wheres the pics!!!!