Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

alternative to carb cleaner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wazzabie, Jul 2, 2006.

1. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Apr 17, 2001
    My carb is already rather clean. I want to use some cleaner to get into the areas where elbow grease could not reach. I don't really want to use carb cleaner as it stinks so bad. Anyone use a safe alternative. Maybe sook it in gas or baking soda? a can of coke?
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Jul 24, 2003
    For 3 bucks,you cant beat a can of Gumout or similar carb cleaner!...its the best,safest for the carb,and cheapest way too...

Cheap oven cleaner works,but is very corrosive to the zinc carb castings--only leave it on a few minutes at the most,or you wont HAVE a carb to worry about cleaning for long!..

I've used "Vanish" toilet bowl cleaner to clean carbs I had all apart for rebuilding,you submerege the carb parts (no plastic or brass!!) in a 5 gallon pail half full of water,and add the "Vanish" slowly..cover it and let it sit no more than 10-15 minutes(best to watch with a close eye!)...then flush with lots of water ,making sure to get it all out of the nooks and crannies..

This method can destroy a carb if your not careful!...so can soaking it in battery electrolyte,that you can buy at parts stores..it'll clean the white crud water leaves behind,and "boil" out the passages and jets internally--by removing a bit of the carb itself!--...--neutralize the acid with baking soda and water,then flush thouroghly--..this treatment is for carbs that are badly oxidized from weather exposure...and is usually a last ditch effort to save it..

I've reclaimed a few old briggs and stratton carbs using battery electrolyte,and watched a few dissolve into bubbles, and crumble like broken glass too!:eek1: :doah: ..