Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternative to Pro Comp SS brake hoses

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mich89k5, Dec 4, 2000.

1. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

I've been hearing a lot about the SS brake hose extensions from Pro Comp and how great they work, but has anyone blown these out. I just went to a reputable offroad company down the road and he personally showed me 5 blown out hoses from Pro comp and he won't carry this line anymore. He stands behind the products he sells and doesn't pass it on to the manufacturer becasaue he knows that people don't want to hear that they have to mail the broken one in and wait for Pro Comp to determine if it was the drivers fault or their own. So he's had to take more than 13 off free of charge to keep his customers happy. He said that the teflon lining inside actually blows from inside out. I've been running around town this morning partly due to a post earlier this weekend about a mid 60's chevy brake hose that would give you 5 more inches of length with the same fittings on each end. Well I went to Autozone(they crossreferenced the NAPA part#)and compared the stock to the new longer one and I only saw about two inches more in length so I decided not to spend the $17.00 if it was only going to give me 2 inches extra. I'm thinking now that my only alternative is to get longer rubber hoses made. Any suggestions where to go? Plus if anyone else has blown these SS Pro comp lines it would probably help others decide whether they want to take the chance. The guy I did talk to said that Rancho makes these too, but actually it's just a longer rubber hose with an outer flexible steel cover, which is kind of senseless besides adding a little abrasion resistance. He was going to check, but he swore that Rancho only sells them as part of a lift kit, not seperately. After seeing 5 broken hoses, which keep in mind can't be too old, becasue this is a pretty new product I'm deciding to investigate more before I get caught up in this ' buy everything from the internet trap' that I've kind of been guilty of already. When it comes to brakes I want to know if it is going to last. Maybe the fact that SS doesn't flex like rubber actually makes it prone to blow out. I think time will tell. I just would hait to read 2 years from now that all these guys with SS lines got in an accident because of the SS lines. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Mich89k5

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I thought that Superlift made longer brake lines, too.

I would also like to know of an OEM brake line that would fit a Blazer, but with some more length. I prefer being able to readily replace my hoses from a local Napa or Autozone so that repairs can be made wherever I am. I would even be interested in the 2 extra inches line. Do you have this part # or the supposed 5 inch part #?

I have even considered asking to look through the whole stock at a parts store to see what would fit that is longer than stock. Then, you just write down the vehicle that it is intended for and when you need new ones, just ask for brake hoses for vehicle such and such. Any custom-made line is really just a temporary solution.

"They tell me that you can make it to work without big tires. I'm still not convinced."

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I wonder if Autozone, AKA clueless kids working as parts men, got the cross reference correct. My K-5 is a 74 model and the lines I got from NAPA were a lot more than 2 inches longer. If you go to a good NAPA they have a brake line book that shows the ends that are on the lines. Then you can compare the lengths with your stock length hoses.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

There is also:

Superlift
    Earl's
    Goodridge?

That make SS brake lines.

However, i have had my Superlift lines for two years now and i just broke both of them the weekend i went to Webb Rd. I called Superlift and they said there is no warranty on the line so I am SOL! My lines broke at the crimped part right where it goes into the fitting on the caliper.

I think I may go to a local guy and get some custom SS lines made with extras.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. mich89k5

I have both Napa and Carquest part numbers. I forgot to ask for the Autozone part# but they were able to take the Carquest part # and cross reference. The Napa # are 36759 and 36760. The carquest # are SP5128 and SP5129. Carquests computers were down, but they guy who I talked to said that SP6513 might work for the rear. It's totally possible that the Napa, Carquest and Autozone hoses are not exactly the same, but I was looking at $51.99 from NAPA, $37.00 from Carquest and $17.69 ffrom Autozone, so naturally I went to Autozone to save some money, but I will look at the NAPA and Carquest hoses to make sure I'm comparing apples and apples. The only difference that I saw with the Autozone hose was that the fitting that hooks into the caliper did not have the tabs that stick out the sides to keep it secure within the groove on the caliper, but that probably wouldn't make any difference. The other end will not fit back into the mounting bracket(stock)the same way because it has both male and female threads and the clip that is used to retain it to the bracket on the frame would not fit. I'm sure it definitely could be retrofitted, but the length was what I was disappointed in. It also had a bracket in the middle of the hose which would work great to hook a spring up to,to keep it out of the wheels way and allow it to flex when needed. I'm just going to keep looking for a cheap alternative to SS hoses. To me it's just hype with serious safety concerns. I know that rubber can burst too, but you don't have to pay $110 for rubber either. Has anyone ever tried to use pressure hose with crimped ends? I need to look into this since I own/operate a powerwash business, but the guy that fixes all my hoses when they burst(210 degrees @ 3000 psi)is out of town. Most pressure hose has a inner layer of rubber then steel braiding reinforcemnt and then either a tape -like wrap or another layer of rubber. You can either get R1 or R2 hose which R2 has double the layers of reinforcement. I just don't know if stock rubber hoses have some sort of extra chemical barrier to keep the brake fluid from eating away the rubber or if rubber is safe to be in contact with brake fluid. If anyone has any info we could save some money this way.

Mich89k5

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've had procomp braided lines for nearly 5 years now without a hiccup. They've been around for a while. I know their current lines are made by Earl's, so they're good stuff from a reputable company. Lots of controversy over some of this stuff, but they do work, and for really long lines and for demanding applications they're the way to go. I worked for an engines lab that did a lot of natural gas stuff with a pretty decent budget and if they didn't hardline a run, it used braided lines. Their stuff cost way more than my truck. Hard to believe, but true! :-)

SW-ORD

7. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

Did the service guy say how long the hoses were and what size of lifts they were on. I can see the extended lines breaking on an 8"lift or 6" with a body lift or even less depending on the suspension travel. Could they have been the wrong application? I know that for my 76 the hoses were a different length than newer vehicles.

I'm not trying to say your wrong. I just wonder what setup the lines were ran on. If you are right, then I just wasted a hundred bucks. Doh!! Well maybe not, braking performance is improoved.

8. mich89k5

Hey Toad, I'm not sure what application it was used on, but the guy that I dealt with wasn't just a service guy he was the owner and this guy knows his stuff. He's built and races two monster trucks(Mongoose and I can't remember the other one). Mongoose was actually the monster truck in Blues Brother 2000. I've gone in there with money ready to spend without researching something and he's actually talked me out of what would have been some expensive bad ideas. That doesn't necessarily make him an expert, but he sees (not just sells) and installs alot more stuff than most of us here combined. I was just wondering if there were differences in the various SS line manufucturing or even better a rubber hose alternative. He was ready to leave when I came in there today, but I'll be sure to ask him in detail what he thinks. But hey if you guys have some ideas, lets here them.

Mich89k5

9. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I love mine.. I've only had them for a week now.. but I was hesitant at first... The guy from pro comp said they were made by earl (???) and that they are a number one producer of these lines of parts. Now why would a retailer like pro-comp sell a "crappy" product with all the other stuff they sell... I think your buddy had a bad set or possibly the product has improved...
    Mine came with a nice warranty and a below cost price :)
    I'm happy and would do it on the next beast...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...