Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternative transportation - Motorcycles and snowmobiles

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jun 16, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Hey all, I have a question about motorcycles.

I've never driven one myself, but used to read easyrider and mechanical books all the time. That was a couple years ago, and feels like a lifetime ago, though. I don't know squat about them anymore, but I want to get back into them for the commuting savings... And cause it's a pretty cool little hobby...

What should I look for and look out for when buying a bike? I have a tiny tiny budget and will likely end up buiying something on ebay (anybody stumbles across any good-looking auctions in the new england area, PM me!), or scrounging parts together from this yard I have a realllly good relationship with. Obviously, I'd love a harley or other American bike, but money stopped falling out of my pockets right after baby number 1...

Also, snowmobiles. A guy up the street from my mom has had a snowmobile sitting for about 3 years in his driveway, cover blown off just recently and not put back on.
    Sight unseen, sound unheard, do you think it's a safe risk to offer the guy $100 to haul it away and see if it's a rebuildable? Are snowmobiles popular enough anymore to have any kind of parts resale value?

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

for $100 i would haul that mother off of his hands and bail out of there as quick as possible. as for motorcycles, just shop around

NITRO

3. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

snowmobiles can eat up you're pay check faster then a 4x4 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    make sure it is a name brand so you can easily find part's for. and be redy to spend money.
    i made the mistake a couple times of sayinf oh it's only a couple hundred for this sled intead of 6 or 10 thousand for a new one or couple thousand for used good one. then ended up putting thousand in it.
    got one in the back yard i'll give you if you come and get it. comes with recetes for 1500. to 2000. in work. bought it for 300. just nickeled and dimed me to that much in one season.
    hey what is it maybe it has the part's i need. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif
    dave

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm a Harley-Davidson owner and totally understand where you're comeing from on the cash flow. I seen on TV that Honda is haveing a promo, any Honda for $29.00 a month, for the first 6 months. Might be worth looking into. And as far as the snowmobile, go for it, if he'll take $100.00, I think it'd be a good deal. If you don't want to put alot of money into it, you could sell it on ebay for more then $100.00. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif