Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternative windshield selection.

Discussion in 'Center Of Gravity' started by Sandman, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I've had the joy of installing several junkyard windshields do to wheeling oopsies and wondered if anybody has tried substituting a Lexan version. I know you can just buy them but the cost does not make it worth it. Maybe a 1/8 or a 1/4 panel cut and formed into the stock gasket? We're talking trail rig here not much street. Might give some high-up weight savings also. Thoughts?

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Not sure when but when I'm ready to get rid of the windshield the frames going with it and I will just rivit/bolt Lexan or seran wrap etc. right to the cage as a flat piece.

3. Sandman

I have considered that also but change my mind when I get caught in nasty weather on a wheeling trip. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. CK5

Hat, gloves? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dont think any home made 'shield is gonna be dot approved... so it had prolly better be on a trailered rig or something...

j

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My Toyota buddy ran a lexan windshield for a year...
    It was impossible to see out of after a couple wheeling trips...

Also the Ohio Staties pulled him over a couple times.. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    he finally went back a GLASS windshield..

7. CK5

Sandman's new windshield.

[​IMG]

8. Sandman

Thanks, I never thought of that.

9. Sandman

I was worried about the scratching thing. Maybe there is no real easy solution. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

There's a good discussion over on PBB about the same topic, don't know if you have caught it.

Seems like Speedglass has come up several times, but along with the good comes the bad as some people have said it does scratch up easy.

Another suggestion was to use what I believe was lexan polycarbonate that had been treated for protection against UV rays and scratch resistance.

I've been interested in the Speedglass for awhile, but I don't know if the company makes a replacement for the K5 as is, and I was on the website this morning and the only listing it had was for Jeeps.

11. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

rockstomper had an ad for a lexan winshield that was double coated to be scratch resistant. It isn't on their site anymore though. Petersons did a test on one a while back also. I was interested in one for my next winshield. I saw them advertised for a K5 for around $300.

If your winshield follows the contour of a stock one you usually have to tick of a cop pretty good to get them looking for DOT #'s same goes for beadlocks, seats, and belts.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    rockstomper had an ad for a lexan winshield that was double coated to be scratch resistant. It isn't on their site anymore though. Petersons did a test on one a while back also. I was interested in one for my next winshield. I saw them advertised for a K5 for around $300.

If your winshield follows the contour of a stock one you usually have to tick of a cop pretty good to get them looking for DOT #'s same goes for beadlocks, seats, and belts.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I read, Rockstomper is still selling them...............

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

14. Sandman

Thanks for the link. I checked it out.

I might try getting some 1/8 Lexan from somewhere and see if I can shape it to a stock windshield setup. The outward bow should give it even more impact strenght.

Maybe I'll hit the Home Depo this weekend and see what the costs per sheet are.

15. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Home Depot has Lexan? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Lexan and Plexi-glass aren't the same thing,I think homedepot has plexi.
    But you probably knew that. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Hows about building a windshield frame and hingeing it - fold down windshield.

Split the windshield down the center, two flat glass panels, hinged off the cowel/firewall. Design the hinge, so that the glass, folds forward and in - towerds the center-line of the hood.
    Those of us w/full-toppers, could build some kindof intermediate panel out of the stock upper windshield frame. Inorder seal the top to the glass.
    I see no reason, why that wouldn't be street legal and also help prevent damageing the windshield in an off-road excursion.

Just an idea.

17. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I am seeing about putting my windshield on hinges with pins, so that when I want to go on some trails I can remove it and leave it on the trailer. Because that is the only thing to worry about in a rollover. ( if you have a cage)