Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternatives for onboard air?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UseYourBlinker, Apr 23, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Instead of mounting a compressor, tank,and hooking up the lines. What is some alternatives? (ie. Airing up tires) Are those portable tire inflater's anygood? Can they handle airing up bigger tires?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If you are talkin about the electric pumps they take FOREVER to pump up unless you dump 300 for a QuickAir brand, but thoes still take a while with out tanks.
    I whent Co2, got a PowerTank last year as a gift and I am so glad I whent Co2. Ya the PT is 300 bucks but it is a helluv alot easier than mounting a compressor off the motor then mounting storage tanks then routing all the lines...etc.
    Cool thing about Co2 you can fill your tires in no time, run air tools, seat tire beads, etc.....
    Oh and it's only like 10bucks to fill the tank. Heck I'm still on my first tank full and have used it many times on fillin tires, played with some air tools, just to see how it works, filled a 55 gallon drum that was under our duck blind to raise up one corner of the blind. A Co2 tank is 100% portable so you can take it wherever...........

3. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yup...
    I got one of the powertank systems too like Burt4X4.
    YYYYEEEEEHHHHHHAAAAAAAA! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I love it. I brought my air rachet in case i needed to work on anything, and I aired up my tires from 8 psi up to 32 in about 6 or 7 minutes.
    You're supposed to be able to seat tires back onto the bead on a rim. Even 44's. You can crank that regulator up to like 160 psi and give it a few blasts to re seat a bead.

Alternative to onboard air? Bring a six pack and I'll fill up your tires before we leave from Blazerfest. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif lol

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

You can even make your own co2 tank. It only cost me about $150 compared to the $300+ of a Power Tank. And around here it cost $23 to fill your own tank, or $10 to just replace. I've used it MANY times to fill up tires and ran power tools with it. WORKS GREAT!!

5. UseYourBlinker

Do you guy's have a link to the power tank? I would like to read more about it. Thanks

6. dduckblazer

dduckblazer Registered Member

Idea Find an old scuba tank used mostly under $80 and still cheap to fill. I know a bike shop that uses one.
    Would a Co2 tank that they use at bars to pump Kegs work? I can get one or two for "free".

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

here <a target="_blank" href=http://www.powertank.com>www.powertank.com</a>
    If you build your own try and get an aluminum (sp?) tank, the tanks can get heavy when full of Co2. The PTank comes with a regulator guard/handel wich makes it nice for carring around....I don't mean to sound like a comerical I just like this product alot!
    Oh and they, PowerTank, do stand behind their product cuz I
    had my regulator go out on me and they took care of me very quickly.
    good luck

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, build yourself your own powertank set up. The real PT is like $300 just for the small one. You can cut that in half if you just get the kit from indy offroad (has everything but the tank)....or even less if you collect all the parts yourself. If you build your own, you can use whatever size tank ya want to. 20lb? /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

J

9. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Can you point us toward indy offroad? I can't seem to find a link to them with any of my search engines ;-)

10. UseYourBlinker

Me nether... Man that Power tank stuff is mad bank /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    Tank-$300
    Mount- $50
    WOW!

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Sorry guys, I was going to post the link b4, but I had to track down the receipt from my order... cause a www search didnt yield any results for me either! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Anyway go to...

http://independent4x.com/homepage.html

then products... and CO2/onboard air systems.

They sell a kit that is everything minus the tank (easy to get locally, and spendy to ship anyway!). When I got mine, it was on sale (www special) for $84.99... cost me $92.99 shipped to my door. The current price is $125. I'm sure if some ck5'ers got together for a group buy, you could get the price sub-$100. If you were a non-do-it-your-selfer, they do sell kits that include the tank... and they are cheaper than the PowerTank. Something to think about.

anyway, hope it helps. I'll have my indy4x4 setup at Blazer Bash, so if anyone wanted to check it out there... ya could. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J

12. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Yeah, Get me to indy offroad too!

13. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Man for what is in that indy kit I think I would just get the goods from a welding supply shop. Our local shop has all the goodies and the tanks for much less then that and all I have to do is fab a mount for the tank and a shroud for the regulator ;-) Just another thought for you DIYers