Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternatives to / \ style rear shock mounting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Alternatives to / \\ style rear shock mounting

<font color="green"> After reading all of the problems that some people have had with inboarding the tops of the rear shocks, I'm trying to come up with an alternative method of mounting mine.

A couple of years ago I had problem with the rear of the truck riding like ithe axle was mounted directly to the frame, so I decreased the effective shock rate by just moving the tops of the shocks a bit farther away from the axle, mounting them in existing holes that were in the frame. I now have a set of 9012s that I'd like to mount in the rear but they're a bit too long to mount where I had the old shocks.

I'm thinking about drilling some more holes in the frame and mounting the tops of the shocks even farther away. Has anybody tried going this far away? I'll only go far enough that the shocks will not bottom out on full compression, it might not even be as far as the pictures show. I would go through the bed with a shock hoop but I don't have the resources to do that at this time. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

For the record, the first time I moved the shocks the ride in the rear of the truck improved immensly, it was real stiff before, after I moved the shocks it smoothed out quite a bit.

I just don't want to go drilling holes in the frame if someone has already done this and it sucked. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG] </font>

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Re: Alternatives to / \\ style rear shock mounting

well, My truck was the test monkee for Greg, so I think he could knock out a pair for you quite easily. He was talking of making "kits" to do them, so you might want to PM him on that. I know he is busy with various project and Chirs' rig is supposed to be getting into his shop for a cage soon.

But if you really don't want to keep them on the frame, despite the short comings you ahve already come to terms with, Marv put F-150 towers in that location on his Green K5 and is running 9012's. might want to talk to him.

3. MR4WD

MR4WD 1/2 ton status

You may bend the shaft, or bust the eye bushing off the shock running on such an exagerated angle. I run my shocks like this /\ and have no problems with them. The only real pro about mounting your shocks like you do, is it will help control axle wrap. The major con is you'll need shocks a bunch longer to manage any articulation you may get.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Shaggy,

I hate to say it, but that "proposed" location is probably not going to be much better than doing the "typical inboarded" shock mount....(the 45* style)

Although you may get slightly better axlewrap control with one forward &amp; one behind, it sounds from your description that your rear springs must be pretty stiff anyway....BTW-&gt; the effectiveness of a shock at 45* is only 70%.

I think you will have the same issues with "roll control" in that proposed location, as the guys who do inboard shocks....45* is 45*, regardless of whether the shock is mounted in a lateral or longitudinal angle....it's effective damping is still limited over a more "vertical" method.

Do you have any amount of body lift? You might be surprised how well you can do with a 9012 if you mess slightly with the upper mount (a little longer) and go to the extreme ends of the axletubes on the lower mount. I've got 9012's on the back of mine (2" body lift) and no cutting of the tub.

Your welcome to come over and take another look at it, if you want some more ideas.... or as Zakk mentioned, I could do a "true" inboard shock setup for you if interior space is not an issue.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Greg, I don't have a bodylift so there is no room to go up. The rear springs are stiff, but considering that I don't haul a heavy top around, I don't have much weight to help the rear end ride smooth either. ALthough, after moving the shocks to this position it's not bad at all. The shocks on there are the notoriously stiff Rancho 5000s also.

Interior space is not an issue to me at all, especially considering that this isn't a Blazer but a pickup. My ideal setup would be to have the shocks close to straight up, but mounted in a fashion that gives *some* axlewrap control. I removed the overload leaf and added a 2" block during this buildup and I'm afraid that I might end up with some axle wrap because of that.

If we can work something out to do a setup similar to what Zakk has then that would be mucho coolio. I don't even have shock mounts on the axle yet, I have a set of the ones that TonyP makes but have not put them on since I haven't decided which way to go with it yet. The truck should be mobile in a few weeks, hopefully, so once that happens maybe we can figure out a good time to do this. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font>

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Shaggy,

I agree w/ Greg. I think your proposed location will lay the shock down at such an angle that it may start to become useless. At one time, years ago I had my shocks mounted in almost that same position..... and the handling was atrocious /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif!

As I mentioned on another post, the best setup's I've seen poke thru the bed and use adjustable shocks. If you can sacrifice that hauling space, it'll be worth it in ride and control. Turn Greg loose on it!

Marv

7. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Greg,

Lets see some pics of your setup. I'm very curious and am ready to fire up the plasma right now to get started on it.

Thanks..

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

here are some pics of the hoops Greg fabbed up for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry its so dirty, I was in Hollister all weekend, and have not had time to clean it up /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic pf mine , and it works awesome , I don't know why you would cut the floor up , or angle them inboard over doing it this way , as it works great with a stiffer/longer travel shock such as a 9012 or bilstein 7100 series . [​IMG] [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, thats about the same position I have mine in... but mines not nearly as clean of an install. Nice work! What valving are you running?

11. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

CCRider,

Interesting...... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

A shock for anti wrap. How does it work?!?!?

Marv

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If I am not mistaken, Stefan did this on the ORD blazer back when it had 1/2 tons on it. Hoepfully he will see the post and comment. I was thinking of this a while back and never got around to it. I talked to SW about this and all his comments were positive.. DOnt remember hearing any negative comments.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Yeah, some comments from Steve would be good. I think I'm probably just going to continue with my current setup for now, when I flexify the rear later this year I'll have to figure something else out, but I had thought about doing a setup like CC did, with the shocks both angled in and forward/back. Try to get the best of both worlds, long travel, a bit of axlewrap prevention and sway control. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

14. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

My take on it?
    The shocks are most effective straight up and down and as close to the wheel as possible, any necessary variation hurts that but there are packaging compromises no matter what. That's what everyone here seems to be coming to here.

I'm for separating the wrap control from the suspension control. You can do both but one or both will be compromised to some degree. And in extreme cases a shock is not the right item to control axle wrap since it won't limit the amount of wrap, only control how fast it occurs. A shock can work well as wrap control as long as you don't get the spring wrapped to the point it bends. Sometimes a little wrap is good at absorbing some energy to soften the shock to the tire on acceleration. That's why dirt trackers run 5th coilovers for wrap control. But that's a whole different subject....

15. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

Well said Stephen! I compensated for the angle with valving , don't know exactly what's in it , as I monkeyed with it on the shock dyno to get the curve I was looking for , i have a graph if you need it , as for the traction shock , I was looking for the dampening to help it not START to wheelhop , without limiting travel in any way , the valving on that bugger is a 300/300 WAY WAY Stiff!!! works pretty good so far , doing what I want it to do , and I agree with stephen on it transfering to the spring and trying to bend the spring , I wouldn't try this on a thin leaf pack ,as it most certainly will do that , but I have 13 leaves and it doesn't feel as if it's doing that yet , here's another pic!! [​IMG] [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

CC,

Nice setup! just one question, why the straps when you're running full leafs?

17. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Probably to stop the shocks from bottoming out. I would much rather have the weight of the axle/tires/wheels/etc hanging off a strap than my 200 dollar bilsteins /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

18. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Probably to stop the shocks from bottoming out. I would much rather have the weight of the axle/tires/wheels/etc hanging off a strap than my 200 dollar bilsteins /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Be it that or keep the driveshaft from being at an extrem angle. Also I bet he jumps the truck some too.