Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternatives to useing a tennis ball

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by not4show, Jun 21, 2001.

1. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

I am going to put a 102" whip antenna on my truck, but I need to put something around it to keep it from scratching my truck. I don't really want to use a tennis ball though. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Here's an idea. I'm assuming you're planning on mounting the antenna on the rear bumper...

Get a flat sheet of plexiglass, let's say 3" x 6". Hardware store should carry it. Drill a 1/2" hole for the antenna whip to pass through. Leave at least 1" of material around the hole for support. Pass the whip through the hole, and sandwich the plexiglass between the top and the bedside. Presto! Instant non-conductive antenna brace.

<font color=red>Click those banners and help support CK5!!<font color=black>
    [​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Someone makes a really trick little plastic spacer deal - it looped over the antenna and was held to the body with doublesided tape. I've seen them on several J**ps and on Sheriff's Blazers/Broncos with CB's.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

4. scrapmetal

scrapmetal 1/2 ton status

Its called a bent thing around the end of the thingy on the whip, [censored] anyone can make one, just go to a hardware store, and tell ya need some light gauge steel strap, get home drill a hole for the rope and bend the other end to just slip on the end of the whip,, lessoned learned,,

Never been stuck, just temporarily delayed.

5. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

JACK's head from the IN THE BOX...

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

6. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

Thanks for info guys. I'll probably mount it this weekend.

7. Hayduke

Hayduke 1/2 ton status

my 102" whip is mounted on my rear quarter-panel, only when i'm really movin' off-road does it bang around and it really doesn't hurt the hard or soft tops.... but i do like the plexy idea and will prob use it when the hard top goes back on come winter....thanks!
    peace.
    HAYDUKE

Insured By COLT, Policy #.357M

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com>http://haydukesk5.coloradok5.com</A>

8. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the other advantage, is that a vertical antenna has the best reception ( I believe... correct me if I;m too blatantly wrong) this is why sometimes you see the fiberglas whip antennas on semi's angled slightly forward... when they hit highway speeds, the antennas are generaly about vertical.

-Rich

1977 C20 suburban
    454/400 trailering Special
    1973 K20 suburban
    350/350/np205
    Atlantic 442 Steam locomotive
    Daisy Mt Railroad

9. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

you are totally correct. The signal from a cb antenna works kind of like when you throw a rock into a pond. It gives of a cirular riple that works it's way through the pond. The signal is the same, if you point is down it wint work as well!!!

http://autotronixcaraudio.com

10. 83blazer

83blazer Registered Member

insted of useing a tennis ball try other balls like baseballs basketball bowling balls itll look cool

HOOK IT TO WHAT YA DONT WANT

11. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Racquet Ball?

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

A guy used a part from his sons toy that was a plastic heliacopter roter........

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

13. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Use a small piece of plastic or aluminum to shim the antenna out slightly at the spring.... used to do it on our Hummers for HF antennas that were 12' long and HAD to to work....look at what your antennna does when you are doing what you do and eye ball the right size for your application....

14. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Have you thought of a door gaurd plastic.... it should go around the antenna no problem heat it up a little and finish molding it around the antenna....

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!