Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator and wiring problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mtnman210, Mar 19, 2009.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On the project truck I've come to find out that I'm not getting a charge. I've totally rewired the truck so it's minimal wiring and I think I found the problem. On the back of the alternator there was a plug with 2 wires. I've gotten rid of the plug and just ran 2 separate wires. Now one I believe is a hot from the battery to the alternator.( i could be wrong). Now the second wire I have no clue where it goes and it's currently hooked to nothing. So I'm sure this is where my no charging problem is.

So where do I run this second wire? I was told it should go to a 12volt ignition hot(that would mean any circut that gets power when the ignition is on correct?), but I want to make sure before I run it to the wrong place.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

One should go to the ignition hot, yes, and the other should go to the ignition hot through a light bulb or resistor, IIRC.

-- A

3. mtnman210

yeah I keep hearing it should go to a dummy light on the dash. I never had one on the original dash and I don't have one on my other 77 k5 either. so I'm not really sure where to stick it.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually isn't one contant hot, the other an ignition hot? Then the charge lug to battery or starter lug.

5. mtnman210

???

that would be straight to the battery?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well if both were hooked to ignition 12V, would there be much purpose to having two wires? I thought one was used to "sense" that the vehicle was running, thus the alternator starts working. I dunno for sure, but that's how I understand it. Any of the wiring diagrams out there should show the wiring schematic