Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator/Battery Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CarolinaBogger, Jan 17, 2002.

1. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

My truck keeps quitin. I jumpstart my truck and the volts will go up to about 13. After a couple of mins while driving, the volts go all the way down and the engine will shutoff. A couple people have told me that if it was the alternator, then the truck should not stop running, it just won't start after i turn it off. However, the battery is only about 6 months old and the people at Advance Auto tested it and said it will hold a charge. Anyone have any advice? It is a computer-controlled '89. Thanks yall

<font color=green>"I'm old enough to know better, but I'm still to young to care!"</font color=green>

2. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

If the battery is good I would suspect a problem with the charging system. Check the alternator belt, atlernator connections and battery cables. If all appears well with these items it may be new alternator time. I believe a vehicle will stop running when the battery no longer has enough juice left to power the ignition system.

3. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I suspect your truck has a built in voltage sensor that shuts it down at a preset level. If the battery has been drained totally a few times, you may end up replacing both the alt and battery.
    Do you get the charge light on?

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

4. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

No lights come on. When it dies, it feels kinda like it running out of gas. It kinda sputters and hesitates for a couple of secs, then quits. I checked the belts and alt connections and all look ok, so i guess it is time for a new alt if my truck does have a voltage sensor. Thanks for the info guys.

<font color=green>"I'm old enough to know better, but I'm still to young to care!"</font color=green>