Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Alternator/Belt Tensioner Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scavenger, Jan 23, 2001.

1. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

Hi Again,

This isn't exactly K5 related but in the ball park. A week ago the alternator took a dump on our 89 Astro van. I replaced it with a rebuilt from Advance Auto. They didn'y have an AC Delco and it would take over a week to special order one so I took their no-name rebuilt. Now I believe the bearings may be going out of the new one because it squeals shortly after I start the van and gets progressively louder as it warms up. I still have the old alternator which is a 100 amp CS 130 and was thinking about taking it apart and seeing if I could rebuild it. I removed the 3 external torx bolts and the pulley, but I can not get the housing to seperate. It is broke free but the front housing will just rotate and will not come off of the shaft.......any ideas?? My other question is how can you test other items that may be causing the squeal on vehicles with a serpentine belt. Once the belt is removed nothing spins and I have no way to rotate these things fast enough to see if there are other problems besides the alternator. The belt tensioner pulley seems to have a lot of wobble in it with the belt off and may be part of the problem, and with the belt off the rebuilt alternator has a high pitched squeal when turned by hand. I would like to rebuild the old alternator if I can get it apart, and also need to know how to isolate other items that may be squealling........thanks.

2. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

I now this ain't much help but one of my old Haynes books described how to pull the alternator apart and rebuild it. It's the one that covers trucks and our rigs up to 1991.

Since you've still got the old one.... Why not just use the AC delco for a core at the dealer or other parts store to get original new replacement, put in the new one and take the old one back to Advance-tell 'em it squealed like a pig and you want your money back?

[​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 & '91 K5</font color=red>

3. northgate

northgate Registered Member

When your re-assemble your alternator (after you get it apart), you'll need special tools to re-assemble it and get the proper pre-load on the bearings. So I wouldn't recommend trying to rebuild it yourself. Also, you get no warranty. Take the off-brand alternator back and either have yours rebuilt (if you have a good auto electric shop nearby) or get the AC Delco unit. It's BS if they tell you it will take a week. You can have any part in the country overnight if you're willing to pay. Do you have another source? Most auto parts stores can get AC Delco parts from a warehouse distributor overnight. Also, try & locate your squealing noise using a long piece of vacuum tubing held to your ear and moving it around to search for the noise. Or buy an automotive stethoscope (under $20). They're always handy to have around and can really help in locating tapping noises, vacuum leaks, etc.. If your tensioner pulley is wobbly, replace it.

4. northgate

northgate Registered Member

When you re-assemble your alternator (after you get it apart), you'll need special tools to re-assemble it and get the proper pre-load on the bearings. So I wouldn't recommend trying to rebuild it yourself. Also, you get no warranty. Take the off-brand alternator back and either have yours rebuilt (if you have a good auto electric shop nearby) or get the AC Delco unit. It's BS if they tell you it will take a week. You can have any part in the country overnight if you're willing to pay. Do you have another source? Most auto parts stores can get AC Delco parts from a warehouse distributor overnight. Also, try & locate your squealing noise using a long piece of vacuum tubing held to your ear and moving it around to search for the noise. Or buy an automotive stethoscope (under $20). They're always handy to have around and can really help in locating tapping noises, vacuum leaks, etc.. If your tensioner pulley is wobbly, replace it.